Nylon over wood veneer - How to do it without bubbles

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rushskis

Nylon over wood veneer - How to do it without bubbles

Post by rushskis »

After some really frustrating failures, I've found this method to work very well. I have used both Entropy One and System3 (#2 hardener) original epoxies for this part of the process and both have worked equally well.

1. Press ski with a very thin skim coat of epoxy on top. You'll likely have to sand a few spots where extra epoxy leaks through on top and some small air voids form, but this is usually minimal and cleans up in a few minutes. I flash the skis on the band saw so they are very close to the their final shape at this point. This will give you a flat top surface to work on, rather that sloping edges where you can't judge the edge of the ski exactly.
2. Take your nylon trimmed to size and place in the press at medium temp (130-150) for 5-10 minutes so it has the same shape as the ski. Don't go too hot or it forms lots of small warps. This pressing step is critical to keep it from wanting to lift off the ski at the tips and tail once you stick it down. You'll be fighting it constantly until the epoxy cures enough to hold it down. The nylon will want to return to its original shape (usually rolled up in the opposite curvature of the ski). Since you are curing at room temp, this can often be for over an hour.
3. Put some sort of mold release on the bottom of the ski, such as carnauba wax. The epoxy will run over the edges and onto your base. You can sand it off later, but this takes a lot of time. This wax shouldn't be taken up into the base since you aren't heating it, you haven't sanded it yet, and it can be rubbed off later.
4. Lay down a thick coat of epoxy on the veneer, smoothing it out as best you can, but you want it to be a consistent thickness, around 1mm thick (pro tip: mix your epoxy fairly slowly to avoid introducing extra air. Don't use a mixing paddle on a drill, as this whips a lot of air into the epoxy).
5. Lay the nylon on top and use a smooth roller to work the bubbles out from the middle to the edges. All the bubbles will just push right out. I have a 4 inch wide Speedball roller used for ink printing and available at most art supply stores that is perfect for this part.
6. Stay close and watch it. The nylon is rarely without some warpage here and there and this will cause it to want to lift and pull air underneath in a few places. Keep rolling out the stubborn areas until they hold. Occasionally, I use some small weights to keep it flat down in selected areas that just keep lifting. In the attached picture you'll see the box the epoxy came in resting in one place that just kept lifting a little.
7. Check it every 10 minutes during the initial cure time as little bubbles like to sneak in. You can use gentle pressure to force them out.
8. Leave it to fully cure before trying to trim away the extra nylon. If you get antsy, you can pop it up and ruin the whole thing. I cut the nylon off with a fresh blade from the top in a short sawing motion. Go slow. It can still lift off if you are pulling it up or flexing it down hard enough (ask me how I know). Then do you final edge shaping and side bevel and it won't lift.

This process has worked well for me. I attached a couple pics of my most recent pair. If you have any other tricks or an easier way, let us all know.
Attachments
IMG_2981 copy.jpg
IMG_2981 copy.jpg (532 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
IMG_2980 copy.jpg
IMG_2980 copy.jpg (533.2 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
Last edited by rushskis on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
vinman

Re: Vinyl over wood veneer - How to do it without bubbles

Post by vinman »

By vinyl do you mean clear topsheet or are you using some other material?

My process with clear nylon topsheet

Apply a fairly heavy coat of epoxy over your veneer with some extra around any inlays. Coat both sides of the veneer. Some veneers really soak up epoxy. Coating both side might prevent dry area due to this.

Flame treat your bonding surface of your nylon top before you begin layup.

Coat the binding surface of the nylon topsheet.

Apply the topsheet over the veneer

Used a clean scraper to push large air bubbles in a diagonal direction from the middle towards the edges of the layup. Don’t push the epoxy out. Don’t overwork it or you can create dry spots. Clamp your topsheet in place once you clear the air from the end of the layup.

Methodically work from tip to tail.don’t push too much out. Don’t worry if there are small bubbles. The press should move any remaining bubbles out or the layup or into the center, between the skis, as the epoxy flows out and carries the air with it.

Use more resin than you think you need so you don’t get dry spots. Some veneers require more resin if they soak it up quickly. I use 150-250 grams usually. Use even more if your veneer is not perfectly flat. You’ll be surprised by how well a wavy veneer can come out perfectly with this method. Wavy veneers are definitely more tricky than flat ones though.

Good luck.
CCA6196B-24C3-426A-AE4A-614A9C473F45.jpeg
CCA6196B-24C3-426A-AE4A-614A9C473F45.jpeg (565.94 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
rushskis

Re: Nylon over wood veneer - How to do it without bubbles

Post by rushskis »

Yes nylon, not vinyl :D I’ve been cutting a bunch of vinyl letters and I think I just switched them in my head. I edited it above. I’ve tried your process on my press, but I always somehow get voids with bubbles still leaking in. Wish I could figure it out.
vinman

Re: Nylon over wood veneer - How to do it without bubbles

Post by vinman »

Try increasing your pressure maybe? I’m pressing at 60 psi.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com