bending edges on a swallowtail snowboard

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mmeyran

bending edges on a swallowtail snowboard

Post by mmeyran »

I am building a swallowtail snowboard, and trying to bend the inside curve of the tail, which means the edge needs to be bent away from the tabs, inside of the normal direction you would bend edging. Steel edges are designed to be bend in the direction of the tabs, and when bent in the opposite direction it snaps quickly.

Has anyone conquered this issue? I was thinking about heating it, but not really wanting to mess with that.
chrismp

Re: bending edges on a swallowtail snowboard

Post by chrismp »

If it snaps I would highly recommend heating it with a torch until it glows red. The only downside of heating the edges is that the hardening (which is responsible for the edges being more brittle and prone to breaking, but also for keeping a sharp edge for longer) is removed from the part of the edge you heated. This means that the edge will be more malleable in that area, but will not keep a sharp edge, which is a non issue in the tail area. So long story short, go ahead and heat them ;)
mmeyran

Re: bending edges on a swallowtail snowboard

Post by mmeyran »

Appreciate the advice, I will give it a shot.