Blending Effective Edge with Tip Width Radius

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinnycenze

Blending Effective Edge with Tip Width Radius

Post by vinnycenze »

Designing my second board and I now understand this is probably why the first did not ride so well..
I now understand this is usually the 'secret ingredient' in the feeling of a board after reaching out to a few companies but I am still unsure how to properly blend the curvature of my nose width with the sidecut.
Should I just blend this by hand afterward or is there a certain radius that can change this during design? Any advice?..

Two lines are my contact length/tip start (bottom one) and nose width/effective edge (top)
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (7.62 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
Thelongride

Re: Blending Effective Edge with Tip Width Radius

Post by Thelongride »

My simple solution would be placing a tangent constraint on the two curves, but maybe I'm not understanding the question?
mattman

Post by mattman »

Extending the tip curve down enough for a tangent sidecut is one method. Another is to simply add a fillet between the two curves. As long as you can edge the base without gaps, the transition will be fine. Really detuning your tips will make a bigger difference than a slight CAD change.
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

My suggestion is to put a blend curve in that is tangent to your sidecut and the center of it in on the line you call your wide point or effective edge. The other curve I am guessing from you comment is the forward contact point where the board starts to bend up. Make sure that your blend curve interesects in between those lines. You don't want it behind contact line.You also want to make sure that the widest point is up on the nose curve a bit
so when your tip flexes up and down, it doesn't hook up and then release. You may have to move your wide point a bit more forward or shorten your running length.

The way I do skis is to trim off the sidecut where you want the blend curve to start, draw a line from the end point of the sidecut to it's center. In my program I use a function called tangent-center edge. I use the sidecut as the tangent curve and the the line I drew on the sidecut and the effective edge line where they intersect. That will put a curve tangent to the sidecut and the center of that blend curve will be on the effective edge line which makes it tangent to the first curve forward of your effective edge line.

PM me and I will send you a pdf or send me a dxf file and I will see if I can put the curve in for you. The drawing is for a ski but the same principle applies to a snowboard
Attachments
BLENDCURVE.jpg
BLENDCURVE.jpg (141.39 KiB) Viewed 1631 times