epoxy cure time

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

HH712

epoxy cure time

Post by HH712 »

I know this is a very basic question but I am not sure...

I am using a wood clamp press and pressing my board outside in a barn that is not insulated. I am using epoxy from snowboardmaterials.com which can be used without heat but is recommended to be used at 75º.

Do I have to wait for a warm day or can I layup and press in 50-60º weather and just leave it in the press longer? Is there a temp where the epoxy won't cure at all? Any links or threads on how epoxy works and more specifics on epoxy specs would be appreciated.
chrismp

Re: epoxy cure time

Post by chrismp »

This really depends on the specific epoxy you are using. There are so many formulas out there with different requirements and curing cycles. I would suggest that you try to contact either the seller or the manufacturer to find out if it cures at lower temps.
TimW

Post by TimW »

A small fan heater in a tent over your mould(plastic sheet or something) will easily give you 15 degrees extra. Just make sure nothing that burns can get too close to your heater( so no sawdust or plastic directly against your heater)
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

If you have or get a heat gun, you can make a quick box perhaps out of a sheet of 1" panel insulation, a heat gun on about 240-260F will get the inside temp to about 130-140F in about 20 minutes, another 40 minutes at that temp will cure that brand of resin quite well. You can poke some oven thermometers through the foam box.

Do wait for a warm day or at least have your core and materials and the resin warm. the resin can be really thick at those cooler temps and hard to spread easily.
HH712

Post by HH712 »

I have decided to just wait for a warm day. I really like that insulation box idea though. I think I might try this next winter.
HH712

Post by HH712 »

thanks for the help!
Noshaq

Post by Noshaq »

With the first pair, I used to cure it in a car parking on the sun. Later I made hotbox from plywood, glued insulation with silver foil inside and heat it with 4pc 100w light bulbs.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

another option for the future buy heat blankets. They're not expensive nowadays from China.
My shop is not normally heated and when started that exactly reason (problem you have) I went with heat blankets and heated table.
Now if I need to I can press the skis when temperature in my shop barely above freezing

my point. is If you continue to work in the future In same cold environment blanket will make you less dependable on the weather
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
HH712

Post by HH712 »

MadRussian wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:22 pm another option for the future buy heat blankets. They're not expensive nowadays from China.
How cheap is cheap? I have looked and I haven't found any within my budget (which is tiny because I'm still in high school lol). Could you send links?
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

at the time I needed heat blanket they was uploads of $500 ea this why many people, myself included, was building Their own. You can find long discussion thread on this subject. Conversation I remember blankets around $150 each. From China built to your specifications
good luck in your endeavor
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Buckow

Post by Buckow »

HH712 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:21 pm
MadRussian wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:22 pm another option for the future buy heat blankets. They're not expensive nowadays from China.
How cheap is cheap? I have looked and I haven't found any within my budget (which is tiny because I'm still in high school lol). Could you send links?
Check out Alirubber. I got mine from them.
I also have a non insulated barn where I build mine. Sicomin 8500 and Greenpoxy are the easiest to work in the cold that I have tried.
sammer

Post by sammer »

I still use my old electric blanket folded to fit over the skis on my vacuum press.
I cover it with a yoga mat for insulation, gets pretty darn hot.
I bought it at goodwill type store for a couple bucks.
Your mileage might vary

https://www.amazon.com/electric-blankets/b?node=3732191

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)