Roarockit - alternative manual vacuum pump

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

snowbo

Roarockit - alternative manual vacuum pump

Post by snowbo »

Dear all,
i just searched the forum and wondered why the manual vacuum pump doesn't come up more often. Roarockit advertises that you can also press skis and snowboards with it - unfortunately they don't sell the valve separately - so you could build a press very cheaply for beginners.
What do you think?
does anyone have experience with it?
are there comparable simple vacuum systems?
...i think if you only build 3-5 boards a year, something like this should be enough for now...

Best,
Boris
chrismp

Re: Roarockit - alternative manual vacuum pump

Post by chrismp »

From what I've heard it is a pretty good system. I know of a guy who presses pow surfers with it. The reason why it doesn't come up that much on here is probably that their larger vacuum bags haven't been on the market that long.
snowbo

Post by snowbo »

thanks
yes i saw few powsurfer builds and also chatted with their european team...
they mentionend it is no problem to build skis or snowboards - also epoxy is fine within their bags.

...only thing is that their 200x155cm bag is >200€ - in relation to their other stuff quite expensive :D so i want to be sure that this works before buying it...
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Don't see a reason why it shouldn't work. It's a regular vacuum bag made from vinyl. You can buy something similar from https://www.veneersupplies.com/categori ... uum__Bags/ in the US. The difference is that the Veneer Supplies vacuum bags are not designed to easily work with hand vacuum pumps.

PS: be careful with polyurethane vacuum bags as epoxy might stick to them.