22 oz vs 19 oz vs added core thickness

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Bmtroublemaker

22 oz vs 19 oz vs added core thickness

Post by Bmtroublemaker »

I have a shape and a profile I am really happy with, I am going to build the same ski again but I would like them to be a bit stiffer throughout. I used 19 oz in my last layup, if I add 22 oz in the next build will a gain a considerable amount of stiffness or am I better adjusting ski stiffness with a thicker core? I would like them to ski similar just to be a bit stiffer, Im also trying to keep the weight low.

Does anyone have any input? Thanks all.
vinman

Re: 22 oz vs 19 oz vs added core thickness

Post by vinman »

Keep the core the same and add the 22oz glass. It will be a bit stiffer. Plus you’ll get a sense of how much difference it will make for your future builds.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
TimW

Post by TimW »

22oz vs 19oz will give you 5-10% stiffness increase depending on the core.
Wheatlpa

Post by Wheatlpa »

I just pressed a pair of skis with 22oz and they are very nice and snappy but I think that is also helped by the 10.5mm core and 8mm of camber. For the next pair I will be using 19oz with 5.8oz biaxial carbon. I am going for more torsional rigidity with out the weight sacrifice. I am right at the start of my building so no real experience so trying out as many options as I can afford. I will have to start offering to build skis for friends for the cost of materials!
sammer

Post by sammer »

I know my 22oz and 19oz have the same material in the 45's just a lighter 0 in the 19. Torsional rigidity is pretty similar between the 2.
The 19 makes a softer longitudinal flex with the same core, and the ski a bit lighter.
Adding some carbon tow to the 19 adds longitudinal stiffness and still keeps it lighter.
Pull a string of the 45 out of both and measure it, you might find out that they are the same. You might not need the biax.
1/2mm of core thickness adds a lot of added stiffness in both directions.
Also shape of profile makes a huge difference. Straight taper vs round arc from center to tip will make big difference.
Just a few things to consider when making any changes and trying to figure out what is happening.

Hope this makes sense.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)