Sno CAD x on Mac

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skibumben

Sno CAD x on Mac

Post by skibumben »

Hi, Looonnnggggtime lurker here, trying to finish a ski building project i started several years ago, but moving house forced it into hibernation until now.

I am trying to get sno cad up and running on my mac. i remember being able to run it on mac os several years ago with no issues.
Now i have downloaded it, and installed java, but when trying to open the snocad.jar file i only get a banner that appears as if its loading the rogram, but then nothing happens from there. any ideas? or alternative software to try?

cheers, ben
mammuth

Re: Sno CAD x on Mac

Post by mammuth »

Try an older Java Interpreter
Tom
skibumben

Post by skibumben »

ok, thanks! ill give that a try.
skibumben

Post by skibumben »

Im not having much luck with figuring this java business out. Most java tutorials i find are related to writing java programing, not getting an existing program to work. i may have to consider using a different program. i was aiming for sno cad because i rememeber the optimizations for skis beiiiinnnng way faster than starting from blank on a regular cad program.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

You just need to download a older java environment for your mac and try if snowcad is running then....
Tom
skibumben

Post by skibumben »

Got it working! finally figured out i needed to approve each file in the lib folder individaully for the program to load.
savtsuk

Post by savtsuk »

Sorry, what do you mean approve each file individually? I am having the same problem with my mac.
skibumben

Post by skibumben »

right click on each .jar file and click open. it should ask you whether you trust the file as it is from an unknown source. after that it was smooth sailing.
savtsuk

Post by savtsuk »

Oh my god! thanks! I was going crazy over this :)
mmeyran

Post by mmeyran »

Also having issues loading my SnoCad. It starts to launch and then freezes with the icon mid screen...
Does anyone know which particular older Java file will work. Looks like a lot of options in their archive!
thanks
Mike
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

skibumben wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:59 pm right click on each .jar file and click open. it should ask you whether you trust the file as it is from an unknown source. after that it was smooth sailing.
This is good to know. I have access to the GitHub repo. I will try your steps on my Mac, and update the readme file there on the next few days.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

I was able to see this and tried the workaround successfully. I have updated the main README.md on the repo, and the current release notes, with the workaround identified by @skibumben. Thank you!!
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
SnowDan

Post by SnowDan »

Anyone have luck opening this download on the mac?
https:// en.freedownloadmanager. org/Mac-OS /snoCAD-X-FREE.html [ADMIN EDIT: PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN USING THIS LINK AS IT DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE AN OFFICIAL SOURCE FOR SNOCAD]

My MacBook Air won't open it and says "“snoCAD-x.jar” cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer." and "macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware."

Does someone have a link to the Mac version, they used that I can download. Thanks.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

You can download SnoCAD from it's current official source over at https://github.com/mikemag/snoCAD-X

The link you posted most likely contains some sort of malware and probably not even contains the software.