Jonrezz’s Build Log

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Jonrezz

Re: Jonrezz’s Build Log

Post by Jonrezz »

So I was experimenting with really small inlays today - some of the pieces are supposed to be a mm wide in areas, and I think I need to correct my answer about focus above. Well maybe. I haven’t really figured it out yet but I’m getting bigger gaps than I want. It happened on the rose skis too.. when I saw the gaps on the rose skis I thought my main issue was that the pieces of veneer weren’t laying perfectly flat, but the ones I used today definitely were. I’m starting to think either focus is the issue, or maybe I need to just enlarge the inside pieces to account for the laser girth, or both. I’ve been doing more research about fine tuning the focus, everyone seems to talk about it but I haven’t seen much for straight forward methods to do it. Will update when I figure it out more. With engraving it doesn’t really seem to be an issue, I suspect because of the lower power & heat, but with cutting it definitely is.. Here’s what I attempted:

EDIT: I got some feedback from the kind folks over in the lasercutting subreddit and the main takeaways are:

- mirror the engraving so the back of the veneer becomes the front of the inlay - helps hide/reduce burn marks
- account for the laser's "kerf" - measure it with a caliper and enlarge the inside piece vectors by that amount.
- reduce the power and speed to get less charring and cleaner lines - multiple passes if needed.

going to do some more 'speriments and I'll share the results!
Jdline

Post by Jdline »

Looks slik!
CiveVDA

Post by CiveVDA »

Hi Jon,

I've just signed up but I've already read your whole log!
Amazing works!!!
the heat blanket did you have it custom made by Jiangyin Mengyou on Alibaba or was it in stock?

Thank you very much

P.S. if it helps, for the "kerf" of the laser I make an offset of 0.1mm for all the pieces of the carving ;)
Jonrezz

Post by Jonrezz »

Thanks Guys!

Regarding the heat blanket I told them the dimensions, KW and voltage - they did the rest.
Jonrezz

Post by Jonrezz »

Got some shop upgrades goin (new wall mounted boiler made space for a couple new workbenches which was previously a piece of plywood on sawhorses):

...and a snowboard build! for a friend, so my personal snowboard project with the laser & dog is on hold again.

here's the setup in fusion:

It's gonna be 157 overall, 117 running length, 296 at the tip/tail and 256 waist with "M" shape camber. 3mm tip/tail, 6.5 mm underfoot and 5.5mm center thicknesses. poplar with maple stringers.

here's some pics:

core panel:

Sidewall Routing:

pouring:

* planed:

next step is to get it back on the CNC for milling to thickness.

Meanwhile, the matterhorn skis from a few years ago are still my daily driver! Pretty proud that they're continuing to last!! they do need a new coat of polyurethane though, last time I was out the veneer was absorbing some moisture..