Blackmore

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bishop119

Re: Blackmore

Post by bishop119 »

Well making a ski with a sidewall for the first time has come with its own set of lessons. I made the sidewalls to line up with the edge profile seems like my core profile and base profile got slightly off when making my templates, not surprising really as working with a jigsaw and router is not going to be extremely accurate especially in my hands. Thinking back I should have made the core/sidewall thicker than the base/edge combination so it can sit on top and really id be trimming it down anyway. So i think this time we will going at it with the lay up and might need to fill in with ptex where the core/sidewall doesn't line up. or redo the core. either way, every day I want a CNC Router a little more.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Youre on the right way. Yes you should do your sidewalls wider then your outline, it will be cut away later. Do a safe margin depending how exact your core positioning system is.
Tom
bishop119

Post by bishop119 »

mammuth wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:04 pm Youre on the right way. Yes you should do your sidewalls wider then your outline, it will be cut away later. Do a safe margin depending how exact your core positioning system is.
My positioning system isn't the most accurate so I think I am going to offset the core outline 3mm on each side and have a 12mm sidewall so we have about a total of 6mm to play with. we are gluing a strip of pine on the side to create a blank so the top sheet doesn't bend over the sidewall. another thing i need to figure out is how to get a rabbit cut into the sidewall and pine strip. I'm not too concerned by it right now but we have decided to redo the cores and sidewall as its not worth risking the fiberglass and epoxy to have a potential 3mm gap between the edge and sidewall.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

The Topsheet bending over the sidewall is no problem in a hydraulic press. With vacuum its a different story cause it can lead to trapped air bubbles which cannot escape. It will be cut off with the flash. You can glue to the sidewalls some scrap wood, so you have a wider core and a topsheet laying flat on it.

For rabbeting use your shape template, offset it and go with your router and a bit with ball bearing. Or do a rabbet template.
Tom
bishop119

Post by bishop119 »

yeah we use a vacuum press, with my rabbit but I have right now it couldn't extend over the pine plus the sidewall but if you think it will get cut off with the flash I can make the pine strip smaller and maybe to get it to reach.