painting old skis

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

jwahtera

painting old skis

Post by jwahtera »

I just ordered new Gotamas for the winter and now I'm planning a paint job on them. My plan is similar to forexcample painting a helmet: sandpaper, baselayers, laquer, graphics with acryl paint (or epoxy inks?) and playing with base/top colour, then more varnish on top. I have acces to industrial stores and equipment, so that should not be a problem, but I have no experience on materials to use on skis, the varnish has to take hits and also not chip after bent a 1000 times etc.
Should I use epoxy based solutions instead of forexcample urethane based stuff which I'm used to or what? Any specific qualities I should look for in my chosen epoxy/ other clear coat solution? Ofcourse it depends by ski but what material can I excpect to find on top of my gots, epoxy or some other plastic, something completely different? Could I sandpaper through some "useless" layers on top of the ski, to save weight or something, or is it a stupid thought? Will my layers affect the flex of the ski?

Thank you!

JW