Hosting images on the forum enabled

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Head Monkey

Hosting images on the forum enabled

Post by Head Monkey »

We have enabled image uploads to the forum!

Kam and I talked about it and looked at the total number and size of images linked to the forum in the past. It's actually a pretty modest amount of space, and we think hosting images here is worth it. So I've enabled "attachments" to posts, which allows you to upload your images to skibuilders.com. These will be stored with the forum, and you'll no longer have to worry about broken image links.

Look for it near the options at the bottom when you're creating a new post. You'll be able to upload 5 images per post, up to 1MB each image. If your images are too big, resize them smaller. 1MB is actually pretty damn big for a jpg, so I suspect it's a fine limit for now.

You can, of course, still have links to images on external sites. If you prefer to host your own images, check out my suggestion for doing so in this post: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 028#p51028

And now, I give you an image hosted on the SkiBuilders Forum, a final shot of a board for my wife from about this time last year:
IMG_20180418_191600 copy.jpg
IMG_20180418_191600 copy.jpg (815.62 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
Enjoy :)
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
Head Monkey

Re: Hosting images on the forum enabled

Post by Head Monkey »

Here's how you do it:
Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 1.07.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 1.07.27 PM.png (388.49 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

The error message when you try to upload a file that's too big was pretty poor. I've modified it to show you the size of the file you just tired to upload, plus the currently allowed maximum file size. Hopefully that makes it easier for people to see why their pic was too big.

I'll work on getting the max size to show in the instructions, too.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Head Monkey wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:16 pm I'll work on getting the max size to show in the instructions, too.
Done. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to make this easier and I'll give it a shot.