ski production video

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mattman

ski production video

Post by mattman »

so there is an awesome ski production video on elan's site http://www.elanskis.com/pcc.asp?xpath=& ... =&lang=usa
the problem is that since the site is written in flash, i cant figure out how to save the video onto my computer...i cant even find a reference to the video file in the source code. anybody know any website trickery to try and get a savable copy of this file? the video is fantastic, it looks like elan is under new management and has some great new machinery including a waterjet cutter!!! they even precut all their layers to shape before hand so there is almost no trimming to do...alot of unusual methods in the video, worth a watch
endre

Post by endre »

that's a great video, nothing new to the layup though
mattman

Post by mattman »

the materials used werent anything new...but i have never seen a production video where they precut every layer to shape...seems excessive, but i have definitely never seen it before. plus the waterjet cutter is excitable!
plywood

Post by plywood »

nice video. i was just wondering about some materials...once during layup they use some black stripes, about 2cm wide....i think once they just put it on the edges/base, then a layer fibreglass and then again these black stripes along the outline/edges.

is this the rubber damping? so...two parts of rubber with a sheet of fibreglass between...are there any benefits of such a construction? isn`t this too much? it just seemed uncommon to me...
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
endre

Post by endre »

that's a very standard layup, the rubber is there to even out all the differences in tension during skiing and temperature changes, (steel is much stiffer than epoxy and fibreglass, and everything expands differently) to avoid delam towards the edges (and probably also a little bit for vibrational dampening)
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

mattman wrote:...but i have never seen a production video where they precut every layer to shape...seems excessive
I guess the extra cost involved in precutting the materials is saved by less machining during finishing
dcaldous

Post by dcaldous »

This is another ski manufacture video from Telemarktips.com that shows the process of building the Karhu Jak from a couple of years ago.
http://www.telemarktips.com/SkiFactory.html
sivart7208

Post by sivart7208 »

talking about elan factorys.. we were able to get pictures from about 20 years ago of each stage of the building process at the Elan factory in slovenia.. we also got core samples from about 20 different skis and prototypes.. ill post up the pics once i get around to scanning them..