Coated fiberglass?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vol

Coated fiberglass?

Post by vol »

Hi all,

Some one known what kind of coating it is on fiberglass?
Looks that it is spread from one side, fiberglass feels more stiffer..
I found that coated fiberglass much better squeeze out bubbles from resin during press.
Pictures of coated fiberglass attached

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

A quick google search only showed fiberglass with either silicone or teflon coating. If that is what you have I wouldn't try to build skis with it as both materials prohibit bonding.

Where did you get that coated glass?
vol

Post by vol »

I bought this glass few years ago from local shop, but they don't know what kind of coating is...
Spray on fiberglass looks transparent, fiberglass soak with resin very well, no any delamination issue..

But definitely this coat is not silicone or teflon..
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Could it be pre-cured with a small amount of epoxy?
vol

Post by vol »

Ok will try tomorrow
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

No, what I meant was maybe the coating is a pre-cure with epoxy resin...that would at least explain that it is stiffer.
vol

Post by vol »

yes seems like it is sprayed with epoxy or another epoxy friendly material..
chrislandy

Post by chrislandy »

It looks like a kind of pre-preg, the resin is applied to one side only to stabilise the weave, then when you heat and apply pressure from a press or autoclave, the resin reduces in viscosity and impregnates the fibres.

Either that or it's just a weave stabiliser, although as there are cross fibres in there it doesn't seem to me to be that
vol

Post by vol »

Interesting, how to spray epoxy?
falls

Post by falls »

I don't think that this is what you are asking but it is interesting that all glass fibre is coated in the manufacturing process to stop the fibres from abrading each other and for the resin to stick effectively to the fibres.
The process of coating is called sizing and often products called silanes are used. This allows the fibres to be formed into rovings (bundles of individual fibres) and then into cloth or unidirectional fabrics.
There are some newer methods of sizing called direct sizing that is often used on aramid and carbon clothes because conventional sizing required temperatures that aramid and carbon don't tolerate in manufacturing.
Anyway just thought I would add it in as all glass is coated in the beginning but yours sounds like it is the fabric that has been coated. Possibly a binder has been applied to stabilise the weave? Or as others have said it is a form of pre-preg, but pre-preg fabrics usualy need to be kept refrigerated to stop the resin kicking.
Here is an article about glass fibre sizing (which has nothing to do with the size of the fibres it is just a name for the coating process!)
http://www.compositesworld.com/articles ... er-sizings
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Hey falls great link.
I have been doing allot of research in sizing for nylon textiles I didn't realize they sized composite fabrics. But it makes sense.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
vol

Post by vol »

Thanks falls, information really helpful!
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

It's kinda hard to see but it might be a very thin PA mesh that is applied to stabilize the fabric. This helps a lot to maintain the fiber angle for a biax fabric during handling.

cheers, Reto