Edge prep 101

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Gilo

Edge prep 101

Post by Gilo »

Hello everyone

Just starting to build again and some of my edges that have been in storage have started to show some signs of corrosion - small light oxidation patches.

There is a grey top coat on the edges.

Normally I just slap them straight in, not polishing, blasting or anything. So far I haven't had any delams etc

However and as with all things there is aright way and wrong way.

Would anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks

Gilo
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

You want to sand off the oxidation. The edges I've been getting are already prepped (ie sandblasted). I normally will wipe them down with a dry cloth to remove any dust, etc that may have collected from the shop.

Not sure what you mean by a "grey top coat". That grey color is probably from the sand blasting done at the factory. The edges will be bright/shiny after a base grind and edge sharpening.
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

I understand that they grey film is a bonding agent that helps the adhesion of epoxy to the steel. Like a primer coat. I'm not sure if this makes for a better bond than sanded or sandblasted steel, but perhaps it prevents oxidation prior to laminating the edges in a board. I have always just laminated the edges with the frosty grey coat on them and I am not having delam issues.

I usually wear cotton or other light gloves when working with edges and base material. I think the worst thing you can have on them is either a little rust or oils from your hands that might repel epoxy to some degree. I have a small bundle of edges with varying degrees of rust that I'll probably never use, too much work for an edge worth a few bucks.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Yes its a primer coat they apply and it also prevents against rust. If theres no rust just wipe down with a light solvent and go.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Lightly remove surface rust with a new clean scotch brite or fine grit sand paper. Try to leave the primer on.

Wipe down with a solvent like acetone to remove dirt/oil.

Be sure to remove any CA glue that gets on your edge bonding surface prior to layup.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
Gilo

Post by Gilo »

Thanks folks - I will do as directed

Gilo
motoman

Post by motoman »

Also you can use some king of polishing attachment on a drill
It removes rust saving primer.