Solid Touring Binding with narrows stoppers...

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pmg

Solid Touring Binding with narrows stoppers...

Post by pmg »

Hey all,

I have an uncommon project.
I have a task to complete: I need to ride a giant slalom in less than 24% slower than the GS Nr. 1 would in order to get my Level 3 skiing instructor diploma. Last time I missed it by 0.05 seconds.

2 years have passed since (getting a baby takes a lot of time) and I changed my gear. I found that the La Sportiva Spectre boot is THE ski boot for me. Nothing else I tried even comes close to the feeling I have in these, they just fit my strange feet perfectly.

As its about time to prepare for that race crap again I tried my old alpine boots (and some others for testing) and - gosh! No wonder I didn't make the race in time. These boots just suck sooo badly compared to the La Sportivas. And I tried at least 20 different models before buying the alpine ones, they were the best (My feet and legs are so slim I always have to add stuff inside the upper part of the ski boot in order to make them fit, the La Sportivas are the first which close enough).

Ok, so my thought is: Instead of torturing myself with my old boots or trying to get new ones only to find out they are much worse than my Spectres, why not find a way to ride the race skis with the La Sportivas? I "only" need to find a binding to fit both boot and ski.

To fit the boot isn't so hard: Almost any touring binding works. But as its for a race, it needs to be a solid binding, so preferably a frame binding like the Marker Duke.

To fit the ski shouldn't be a problem, but yes it is! The ski is only 66mm wide underfoot, and the stoppers need to close properly, otherwise they will drag in the snow when on the edge.

Ok, there isn't a touring binding with stoppers so narrow on the market. So it needs some kind of workaround. Does one of you have a proper idea how to get this done?

Lightning just struck me :) What could work is to take the toe piece of a marker squire or lord, and just take the heel piece of the racing binding with the narrow stoppers. Could work :)
heke

Post by heke »

Dynafit has 75 mm stoppers
pmg

Post by pmg »

Dynafit is way too unsolid for a race, I managed to pre-release my dynafit vertical several times when riding them hard on icy conditions.

I would rather go for a frame binding...
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Why does it need to tour? Any solomon would be fine. The toe height adjusts to accomodat what I assume is a vibram rockered sole? Add a risor plate and done. Stoppers are breaks over here and they have plenty that are narrow. Why do you need breaks any way? Its europe right? Ski at your own risk.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Hi MM,

interesting, didnt know about the salomon bindings, will have a look around. Thanks for the hint.

And yes, the sole is a rubber sole and it is rockered.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I think tyrolia are also toe adjust clamps as well.
And when they say u cant use a bc boot in an alpine binding they dont mean it wont fit they just mean it wont give you a clean and repeatable din release value. I cram my vibram rockered boot in all sorts of bindings. Its not meant to release. I dont want my skis to leave from me virtually ever.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Hey, do you have an example of a salomon binding with adjustable toe height? Have trouble finding a model.

And I want the binding to release in certain situations, definitely.
pmg

Post by pmg »

And yes, it does not need to be a touring binding, but there are hardly any other binding to fit rubber soles in...
pmg

Post by pmg »

And yes, it does not need to be a touring binding, but there are hardly any other binding to fit rubber soles in...
vinman

Post by vinman »

Marker Lord fits AT and alpine soles.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Solly 912 914 916 all those toes go up. Not a moving afd however just a teflon plate.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Pretty sure a bunch of looks will also fit the vibram as well.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Found myself a solution:
The Marker Lord binding. Its pretty much a squire, but the height of the whole toe piece is adjustable by about 5mm extra. Together with the height adjustable AFD, it will be enough.

And if I see correctly, I can even mount it on the race plate of my racing ski without trouble. Only the toe piece, I will leave the heel piece of the race binding to have the small stoppers. Will probably have to build a height adjustment below the race heel as the Lord toe piece will by higher than the racing toe piece, but why do I have 1.5m² of ABS in my cellar? :)

Will post some pics when the binding arrives.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Didn't check the salomons, really liek AFDs (And I can get Marker stuff for the purchase price). And I doubt the salomon toe can be adjusted by nearly 10mm, thats what I need to make the Spectre fit, the shoe has a huge rocker.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Salomons came to me today, customer wanted them adjusted to new shoes. They are called Salomon Warden, have an AFD as well and toes with a good height adjustment. Perhaps slightly less than the Marker Lord, didn't try to put my own boots in.

They looked really good, are a bit lighter than the marker Lord, and cheaper.