Can't find poplar without knots

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

motoman

Post by motoman »

chrismp wrote:Just FYI, we pay 700-800 EUR/m3 for spruce in great quality directly from the sawmill. The same wood is used by piano makers.
What about 2000 EUR?))) It that I was proposed. Talking about poplar.
heke

Post by heke »

chrismp wrote:Just FYI, we pay 700-800 EUR/m3 for spruce in great quality directly from the sawmill. The same wood is used by piano makers.
I work in wood industri and I have seen how nice & big wood you have in Austria saw mills.
motoman wrote: What about 2000 EUR?))) It that I was proposed. Talking about poplar.
I think that 1500-2000 €/ m3 of high quality dry wood is normal price at least here. if you think how much you need? I pay app. 3-4 € / meter for the knotless aspen. I think it is reasonable price and there is not much waste.
motoman

Post by motoman »

heke wrote:
I think that 1500-2000 €/ m3 of high quality dry wood is normal price at least here. if you think how much you need? I pay app. 3-4 € / meter for the knotless aspen. I think it is reasonable price and there is not much waste.
For Europe it might be normal, but for us it is very high price. In comparison it is like average year salary for my country))

In this case, the price is not formed on the quality but on the quantity of felled trees. For instance from 10 m3 they make one. There is a lot of waste.
motoman

Post by motoman »

Finally we found a good wood.
On the left is pine and on the right is spruce.
Pine is a bit heavier. After some experiments we will check mechanical characteristics.
the most pleasant thing is that the price for spruce is several times lower than for the poplar.

Thank you, guys for the good advice!!!
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Spruce for the win! Hell ya. I'm happy for yA!😜
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Dtrain wrote:Spruce for the win! Hell ya. I'm happy for yA!😜
I never researched spruce .... To my surprise have identical properties to popular.

@Dtrin how you sow yours? such a nice straight grain wood makes sense to have 1/4sowing
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

cutting that way would be preferable but one piece spruce cores don't give much for binding retention. we flat saw 1x6 and glue up blocks then resaw.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Dtrain wrote:cutting that way would be preferable but one piece spruce cores don't give much for binding retention. we flat saw 1x6 and glue up blocks then resaw.
I forgot you making blocks. I glue up each core individual and 1/4sawing wood much convenient

never intended to use one piece core because 1/4sawing
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
heke

Post by heke »

I think spruce is good for skies. When I was kid we use to build bows from spruce branchs. Some of them last for years.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Did you buy the cores from the wood mill like that? Price?
OAC

Post by OAC »

Spruce and knot free... does it combine? :)
If yes, I'm willing to test.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Spruce works fine. I used spruce for an early pair of skis I made and still use them. Actually the spruce came from a clear piece of 2x4 lumber. I used a hard wood under the binding area and spruce for the rest. Turned out to be a great carving ski.
motoman

Post by motoman »

chrismp wrote:Did you buy the cores from the wood mill like that? Price?
Chris,
yes we have agreed that sawmill will glue and cut boards for us. One board costs aprox 5-6$.
Pine is twice cheaper.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

That's a great price! Glad you found such a good deal!
motoman

Post by motoman »

Thanks) We are also happy with that and as soon as it is possible want to make a new board !!