Cutting the base shape

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Bambi

Cutting the base shape

Post by Bambi »

I have some cores ready for action and now I want to cut my base shape. I am aware that this process is really going to dictate the final shape of the ski (the cores will be trimmed after pressing).

So how do people cut their base material to ensure an accurate representation of the shape that they want? When cutting the cores I used a bandsaw to make a template and then used a router to cut the cores off that, but there are clearly irregularities due to my poor handiwork.

Does anyone have any good tricks for getting a good shape using hand tools? I thought that a knife would be easiest, but I notice that a number of people have had touble with warping using this as a method. How else do people approach this problem?

Alternatively are there places where you can take material to get shapes cut by CNC? (around boston?)

As ever, thanks in advance,

B.
MLReed05

Post by MLReed05 »

I have a template cut out of UHMW on a CNC. I then run a router around the template and cut out up to 1/2 dozen bases at a time. Works great everytime.

There are two people in MA that have done cnc stuff for me. PM me for details.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I have similar problem with accuratly cutting a template using a jig saw...

Personnaly, i bought a big pair of shears closes to the ones used to cut sheets of metal. I fixed a paper template on the base material and then cut the base.

This method produced small irregularities and crushed a little bit the edge of the UHMWPE, but those defects are better then what would have happened if i had used a template made with a jig saw.

I though that since i've been trained at using scissors since i'm 5, i might as well go for it.
Mart
hafte

Post by hafte »

I tried the utility knife and had serious issues keeping the base straight. My first set of skis and a teleboard are going to be a bit rough due to this method.

I made two templates out of particle board. Then pinched/clamped the UHMW between the two patterns on another board. I used my roto zip with a sheet rock flush trim bit to cut out the parts. That worked much better.

I made the first template with masonite, which is just a side cut radius. I drew a center line and running length lines on the particle board. Lined up the masonite template to my tip and tail width and cut one side out with a patterning bit in my router. Then I flipped the masonite pattern and repeated for the other side. I shaped the ends and made the second pattern from the first. To save ware and tear on the router I cut out the rough shape with a scroll saw first.
Bambi

Post by Bambi »

Thanks for all the tips. I guess I will make a template from CNC and then use a router as Mike suggested.

B.