what happened? snowcad kanundrum

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

snowstorm

what happened? snowcad kanundrum

Post by snowstorm »

Hi guys it's been a while but just recently i tried to go play around with snowcad and that was a no go,
then i dug deeper and came across github with both monkeycam and snowcad which now looks like a team effort to move home builders forward, but i tried downloading that and still nothing.

Are we supposed to pay for a membership to have access to these programs now or am i just not clicking the right thing to download the program.

It would be great if someone could clarify this
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Github is a source code repository, which also allows us to make 'releases' which have binaries on them. Check out these two links:

https://github.com/mikemag/MonkeyCAM/releases
https://github.com/mikemag/snoCAD-X/releases

Those pages list the releases, newest first, and each one has a list of download links. That's where the binaries are. So, if you scroll down on the snoCAD-X one you'll see a release for v1.0.7.b, with snocad-X-1.0.7.b.zip as the first downloadable file. Click that, unzip, and enjoy.

I hope that helps,

Mike
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
justplanesteve

Re: what happened? snowcad kanundrum

Post by justplanesteve »

A week or so ago i downloaded snoCAD-x from github & after a few tries, it worked.
This week i can't find it on the computer, and nothing i've done to reload it will make it open or run. So the 2 designs i was working on are gone, too. They can be re-constructed from paper notes. But have literally been trying and reading all day & can't get any new download to open or work. I've tried the command line prompts, and all the info posted here.

If Java updates are the issue, i don't seem to be able to figure out which one and how to download the correct old version. I have tried a few but the default seems to update them. Tried JAR openers like Winjar, but it did not seem to make a difference.

Any insights???

smt
Head Monkey

Re: what happened? snowcad kanundrum

Post by Head Monkey »

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with it.

snoCAD-X is not maintained at this time, and hasn't been updated since it's last release in 2015. I know of no plans to improve it, but it is open source so if anyone is interested in working on it they could.

I pulled the zip down from GitHub just now and it launches and works on my Windows 10 machine with Java 12.0.1, which I already had installed. I would assume it works with more recent versions of Java, but you could try looking for 12 and see if that helps.

It looks like the default place where it saves designs is in your user's home directory, c:\Users\mikem for me. Consider looking there for your designs, which should be in .snx files.

I hope that helps. Good luck!
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X