I beam press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

matthew

I beam press

Post by matthew »

hey i have a bunch of i beams laying around and was wondering if i could use them to make a press? if so would anyone have pictures of one? also a friend segjested puting threded rods thru te molds and bulting flat steel to the rods to hold the molds apart so the top and bottem are bolted together to make the press
zachjowi

Post by zachjowi »

I beam s would work great. they are most peoples dream machine but due to money we don't use them. If you look around this site you can find a few Ibeam presses
justin56

Post by justin56 »

matthew,

You can always work with what you got though.
One caveat about structrual steel. Not all shapes handle deflection on the same axis. Although it is true that an I-beam is the strongset shape for up and down deflection, it is not for side to side (relationship of mass to neutral axis).
So going bigger (heavier) with an I-beam does not necessarilymake it stronger (less overall deflection) in an application like a pneumatic press. With I-beam presses, beam "twisting" is common due to the nature of the steel shape and how pressure is delivered to the beam.

To limit deflection, welding is considered better than bolting the beam ends. I've never measured this in reality, only calculations I've seen support this.
I suppose it makes sense that the more "imoble" the beam ends the better.
To me, I'd rather be able to take apart and move something that big.

Of course alot depends upon the actual free span you are using. There are 139psi arbor presess that are made of simple channel steel---but the length of beam is a mere 24"

-J