Quality heat blankets found/cheap!!!!

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Lerio

Post by Lerio »

chrismp wrote:In theory, yes, if it is insulated well enough. It all depends on the environment of the blanket. For example if the blanket is in direct contact with an aluminum cattrack (=big heat sink) it might not reach the desired temp or take much longer than with a wooden cattrack which conducts less heat.
Thanks for the reply.
Blankets will be insulated with a 3 mm mdf board, maybe two if needed. Room temp. is alway obove 20°C.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I think you'll be fine with 1300w then...it's hard to tell for sure though.
Lerio

Post by Lerio »

chrismp wrote:I think you'll be fine with 1300w then...it's hard to tell for sure though.
Anyway 1300W is the max I can get.

Insulation and hope for the best :D
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Gumby wrote:www.yuhengheating.com was who i used but found them on alibaba. Dont be turned away by minimum buys often they will be more flexible than there adds say. Also most will do custom jobs just question the person you are dealing with. took 8 messages back and forth to get what I wanted then received the blankets 9 days after payment.
I just got quoted US$450 for 2 mats by these guys.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

US$138 each + US$60 shipping from
 sales@chinatopright.com
loganimlach

Post by loganimlach »

@goz, how was your experience with the topright blankets?
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I have not purchased yet. The exchange rate took a big dive so I'm waiting till after winter to order all my materials in the hope the rate improves
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Does anyone have a picture of their blankets that they bought? I'd like to see the quality of them. specifically the double ply. I'm looking to upgrade my homebuilt ones this year.
Dream

Post by Dream »

Although I have no pictures, they are quality, at least they seem to be in my opinion. I bought 2 from these guys - very easy to deal with and a quick turn around, I got them delivered in a week. The blankets are not extra thick, can't remember what I ordered. I sandwich them each between sheets of 26 gauge steel sheets which may be over kill but I wanted to protect them and I had no prior experience with heat blankets in the press.

I have pressed 60 pairs of skis with the blankets and just yesterday decided to take the blankets out of the sheets to look at them and they look the same as day one. I would not hesitate to buy from them again.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

They are almost identical to the mei one I have.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
rockinB

Post by rockinB »

First of all, I'm an electrical idiot. I took some courses in college and walked away more confused than I was at the beginning of them. So this all intimidates me a fair bit. But I want to set my press up properly and that means putting heat in it. I'm trying to run some calcs on what watt blanket I will need. I plan on having two blankets, 15"x78" each. I have 220/240v available in the room so I would like to tie into that. I do not plan on using the blankets for dye sub at this point but it may be worth buying a blanket capable of doing so. How many watt blanket should I order? Or how do I go about running that calc? I have read multiple different things and the more I'm reading the more more I am getting confused. My initial thought was to get a 220v 2400 watt blanket. Is this in line with what others are using?
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

rockinB wrote:First of all, I'm an electrical idiot. ..... I am getting confused. My initial thought was to get a 220v 2400 watt blanket. Is this in line with what others are using?
I don't think you're going to find consensus on blankets size. Everybody done differently and blankets ranges iirc from 1300W to 3500W. Maybe even 4000.
it's a long-standing thread "DIY heat blankets" with all information and discussion on the subject.
Anyhow my blankets about 1700 –1800 W or just under 8A in 220v and more than enough for cook-up skis
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
rockinB

Post by rockinB »

Thanks MR. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on for the last two days. I ran some calculations and 1800 watts should be much more than I need as long as I don't have too much heat sink in surrounding materials. I am also meeting with an Elec. Eng. friend sometime in the next few days to show him what I am trying to do so he can look things over and make sure I am doing it properly/safely.
stormyclouds

Post by stormyclouds »

Just bought 2 2200w/240v 14" x 84" double ply blankets from:

http://m.alirubber.en.alibaba.com/index.html

$359 shipped to california. They said I would have them in a week. FYI
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Hey Stormyclouds, did you get your blankets and try them out?
I have just ordered a pair from the same guys.