Offset Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

They look very nice
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Nice work! And also nice that they let you do it on your own in the ski service. You gave the skis a proper stone grind?
Danielbroski

Post by Danielbroski »

yep! Started with the belt to flatten them, then did a few passes on the stone.
Danielbroski

Post by Danielbroski »

Finally invested some real time and money in my hoses, so they can get pressure without leaking and keeping my compressor on a ton. Image Image.
Also make a nice little edge bender out of a vice, some left over aluminum stock, some bolts and some washers. Theres a little space in between the washers for the edge, and the teeth of the edge. Image https://www.flickr.com/photos/134705805 ... ed-public/
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I find I use my rollers less almost every build. The little snips with ground teeth get used more and more.
I'd love to try making a CNC edge bender one day but too many other things higher on the list.
Danielbroski

Post by Danielbroski »

so stoked on my recent purchase. The guy I know who owns the ski shop was getting rid of an old Wintersteiger SBN 350 with the edge grinder that he didn't need anymore, and offered it to me for $350. Went over to check it out and came back with a new grinder. Image
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Daaaaamn....
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Danielbroski wrote:so stoked on my recent purchase. The guy I know who owns the ski shop was getting rid of an old Wintersteiger SBN 350 with the edge grinder that he didn't need anymore, and offered it to me for $350. Went over to check it out and came back with a new grinder.
Is it 3 phase?

Nice deal!!!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

What a deal! Even if it needs some work it's a great deal.
Danielbroski

Post by Danielbroski »

It is 3 phase so I need to get a converter or rig something up.

Right now I'm looking at TEMCo converters, one like this one should work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-1-3-HP-Stati ... 1081245073
Pretty good deal, but they only supply 2/3 the rated HP of the motor which is my main concern.

Anyone had success converting 1 phase to 3 phase?
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

this is static phase converter. Not the best choice.

you need a Rotary phase converter
Best – most economical option to find locally appropriate size motor and buy the panel..... or good electrician can build you one. RPC will be expensive to ship because of the motor
also variable speed drive can be used instead of a phase converter some have single phase input and three-phase output.
you need single phase 220 in your shop

once you got converter you will discover that three phase powered equipment like tablesaw bandsaw or router much cheaper to buy and much better equipment compared to crop in a box store
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Danielbroski

Post by Danielbroski »

yep MadRussian, decided to bail on the static converter. Just bought a 3 hp 3 phase motor off craigslist and some capacitors online. Found some simple designs/wire diagrams online that have worked for other people, and that get close to the correct voltage/phase. Image
Danielbroski

Post by Danielbroski »

heres a fun pair I finally got around to taking a picture of. Image

I did a full ski wood burn on the core, and I'm super happy how it turned out. Super still all mountain charger with just a polyurethane coat on the fiberglass.

Also, finally got around to finishing my 3 phase converter to run my grinder. Works beautifully and it's incredible how much better skis are when they are properly tuned, who woulda thought!
Danielbroski

Post by Danielbroski »

I had to move my press and condense the opening mechanism. I used to have a hand crank that lifted one side, but I replaced that with a hydraulic long ram jack that hooks up to my air compressor. The video is sped up to make it look cooler haha, but using the compressor attachment it takes about 2 min to open the press 20 inches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAgP1wCJJB8
Danielbroski

Post by Danielbroski »

After having some frustration and troubles pressing longer skis I decided to totally redo my press. The guy that I had weld it the first time failed to put strong welds where I actually needed them, so although my welds aren't the prettiest, the press should be significantly stronger than it was before. (I also wanted an excuse to get some welding practice in)

My old one had triangular hinges in the ends, which weren't very tall and took up a lot of space. The old dimensions of the cavity were about 195cm by 23cm, which made my hoses a tight squeeze and, also made it hard to press anything over 185cm.

The new design has I beams on the end reinforced with some angle irons to keep them rigid when the press opens and there isn't only upwards forces. The new cavity is around 215cm by 33cm, which should make pressing way easier.

Also Added another flange on the bottom beam so I don't need to have a base on the ground for the hydraulic jack.

Still need to finish the paint, but I'm hyped on how its lookin so far.