2 Fresh builds, give me some honest feedback please....

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RYM Experimentals

2 Fresh builds, give me some honest feedback please....

Post by RYM Experimentals »

Finished these 2 off this weekend; looking for some feedback. I like the look but would like to hear what others think. Be honest, I can take it!

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Honest opinion? Gorgeous. Photos online don't often do wood topsheets like this justice, so I can imagine they're even better in person.

Are these clear topsheets over veneer? Are you doing the graphics with rice paper? If so, you might consider sublimating onto clear nylon. More cost, but better clarity (I only tried rice paper a couple of times, years ago, and the very slight cloudiness always bugged me).

Great job!
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Nice job. It almost looks like the graphics are branded with an iron.
Gloss urethane is a pain to maintain, I run with satin these days.
My honest opinion...... I love them ;-)
pmg

Post by pmg »

Nice! I have never seen powder skis this wide - but they seem to be a bit unsymmetrical :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

They look great! I'm partial to wood veneer top sheets.
RYM Experimentals

Thanks guys for the good feedback. The topsheet is a clear Duravision from Crown, there is no veneer on these, the wood you see is the core and the graphics are printed on vellum or paper and placed under the topsheet. I put a 3.5oz sglass on top of the graphics and under the topsheet; this gives a nice finished look similar to veneer. A touch heavier but not a big enough deal to change anything.

Off to make another one tonight with the same setup.

Twizz - On some future builds, we plan on using the Isosport clear nylon topsheet with the graphics printed by Miller. Should make them look even better.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Was going to ask if you're using vellum. I've done a couple of prints but not tested it in a layup yet. Glad to see the results look pretty good. Less cloudy than rice paper eh?
RYM Experimentals

The ink on the vellum did bleed a little on the one on the right. I used a vacuum press and the vacuum combined with the epoxy pulled the red ink out. The one on the left is vellum too but the design is black and it didn't bleed. Seems to be limited to the red ink. Go figure.
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

They look good. I like the no veneer no sidewall no tip fill look. Probably made the build go pretty quick...
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I've tried vellum before. I used oil based poly over printed vellum and the ink ran. Could be that I didn't let the vellum/ink gas off. I found another material from Graphix. It's printable transparent plastic sheets for ink jet printers. Works great. One side slightly rough (the side you print on) and the other side is smooth. It's crystal clear. I used System Three LPU over the the printed graphix sheet and I've used exterior poly. Both works fine.

It should work well under a clear top sheet. But to play it safe give the printed Graphix film a few hour to gas off.