Profiling Issue

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yikes. So the rest of it, ignoring the patches - does that look good to you? It shouldn't. I mean no disrespect - but you must have some serious flex in your router bridge, you should hardly be able to see any router marks when you are all done. Even if you belt-sand everything down smooth, you lose all quality control, and have no guarantees that the two skis will match. Small changes in profile thickness, especially near the tips, make HUGE changes in bending stiffness.

You can't complain when you end up with two unusable skis :) We all warned you.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

:D I thought you were kidding. By the time you finish sanding, it will be a shim. I agree with the others, pour a beer, tear off the sidewall, chop the core into kindling, and burn it as an offering to the snow gods.
And feel free to through some $$ my way as well. :)

btw - you could use wood sidewalls for your next pair
Last edited by skidesmond on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

You've been getting hammered a bit on that core so I won't say any more on it. Just gonna offer an idea. Find some vertical laminated bamboo floor boards and use it as a core. Don't worry about any sort of sidewall just let the bamboo be the sidewall.
It won't be perfect but will definitely be usable and saves you blowing money on sidewall and stuff and it lets you perfect your process. Bamboo is a fun material to play with, though hard on the tools and the floor boards can save you a heap of time.
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

Here is the other core, just as proof that I can make a mediocre core. But to your guys standards I should probably use it as firewood. hahaha :D

ImageImageImageImageImage[img]
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

infinityskis wrote:But to your guys standards I should probably use it as firewood. hahaha :D
True story, still looks a little ratty.

Full disclosure - the first ski I tried to make, many years ago (11 years ago now?), I profiled the core by first cutting a bunch of slots with a dremel at the correct heights, about an inch apart, then used a chisel to rip out the wood between by hand, then sand it all smooth. :oops: I have grown a lot since then... (also the ski was unusable garbage).