super sap clr

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Have you tried using latex milk to seal the pinholes? Could be worth a shot.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

No, but I was thinking about it.
Last edited by skidesmond on Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falls

Post by falls »

We had someone lined up to get some CPM in Australia a while back but it never came through. All the suppliers are surfboard oriented.
I am using Sicomin SR8500/SZ8525 - it is French and imported by Lavender composites in QLD. Costs a S@**load + $110 dangerous goods surcharge on shipping. That would be good with super sap as it isn't dangerous goods. It is a pretty yellow epoxy also, but is specifically made for ski/board production. You can heat it to 100C and cure time is only 10 minutes at that temp. I usually do 80C for 1 hour.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
satch

Post by satch »

Why don't you just test the surfboard resin. I reckon it should work just fine. I'm pretty sure you should be able to heat it and get similar results. Just talk to the tech guys of the resin Producer( not the sales reps).

A General rule of thumb is that by every 10°C you reduce the hardening time by factor 0.5.
I'd test a bunch of surfboard resins before paying 110 bucks for shipping.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Most surfboard resins are vinylester not epoxy systems and are not elastic or resiliant and will be brittle and bad in a ski.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
satch

Post by satch »

Sure!
I was only talking about epoxy surfboard resins. As there are more and more EPS surfboard blanks on the market, you should get some brands over in oz.
heke

Post by heke »

http://www.gurit.com/sp-115.aspx

I have use this for kite & surf boards. It is UV resistance. I don't know why it would not be suitable for skies.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

The surfboard resins aren't really designed for heated layup. They will generally handle some heating but not as much as cpm and the cure times aren't as good. So there wouldn't be any benefit changing from my current resin. The cpm is the stuff.
heke

Post by heke »

Yeah.. I did not though about the heat. I don't use it with vacuum.
falls

Post by falls »

the cpm is made specifically for compression moulding. the clr is for glassing surfboards - I think it would run out of the layup when used in a heated compression setup
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....