super sap clr

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Post by falls »

Nice work. Thanks
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
climberman

Post by climberman »

gav wa wrote:I got a response from surfing green. They have had a few requests for cpm so they are going to get some on their next order. Unfortunately they only just got a shipment so they said it will be a few months before the next order.
Nice one.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

When they can give a bit of a closer time frame I'll post it here. Looks like they might move enough to keep it stocked in future.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

How about CLR as topcoat? I having a hard time to find suitable topcoat couple PU finishes I tried doesn't looks hard enough for abuse skis take
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I use it. White room too I think!
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

How well does it withstand abuse?
Thomas A. Edison
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Snowboards look great after a season. Veneers on the skis and splits take a bit of abuse. Mainly from skinning up.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I use foam rollers. 3 coats then a light buff with fiber pad to take the shine down a bit
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

My current problem surface very easy to scratch up similar to car paint. Also if poked with ski poles that spot start chipping/dent in topcoat. Not to mention damage from edges when skis hit each other or one ski across the top of another make nasty looking scratch/cut
how well it withstand impact?
Thomas A. Edison
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

MadRussian wrote:My current problem surface very easy to scratch up similar to car paint. Also if poked with ski poles that spot start chipping/dent in topcoat. Not to mention damage from edges when skis hit each other or one ski across the top of another make nasty looking scratch/cut
how well it withstand impact?
It does good but still chips if it's thick. You want a thin coat. Nothing will take the abuse that nylon or PBT will in regards to chipping or denting in the top coat.. It's just the nature of the material.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

amidnightproject wrote:
It does good but still chips if it's thick. You want a thin coat. Nothing will take the abuse that nylon or PBT will in regards to chipping or denting in the top coat.. It's just the nature of the material.
I understand that. Currently I'm not ready to go with nylon top sheet. Trying to find better topcoat compared to what I got.
Thomas A. Edison
amidnightproject

MadRussian wrote:
amidnightproject wrote:
I understand that. Currently I'm not ready to go with nylon top sheet. Trying to find better topcoat compared to what I got.
IMO you can't really go wrong with CLR. It's a great product.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

How about SLR with very thin fiberglass something like 2 or 3 ounces. Fiberglass reinforcement will make top surface extremely durable and will minimize chipping. I understand it's extra step in the process but might be good alternative to nylon also in this approach any damage much easier to repair
Thomas A. Edison
amidnightproject

MadRussian wrote:How about SLR with very thin fiberglass something like 2 or 3 ounces. Fiberglass reinforcement will make top surface extremely durable and will minimize chipping. I understand it's extra step in the process but might be good alternative to nylon also in this approach any damage much easier to repair
That's what I've always done. Still chips.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

For now I have no plans to make anymore skis and want to see how the current PU finish will work. In the future if you don't mind I'll come back to this discussion
Thomas A. Edison