Thickness Issue

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

manmade

Thickness Issue

Post by manmade »

I just pressed my first pair ski today. I am happy to say it was a terrific success. This was not without the help of all the great postings on this forum thanks everyone. The only concern I have is the thickness of my ski. After it is all said and done they came out just a little over 15mm thick at center. Is this normal? I started with a 130-105-120 tip, waist, and tail design and profiled the core to 10mm thick. I used 2 layers of 22oz. glass, Durasurf base (1.4mm, Durasurf top sheet (.75mm) and a layer of fabric for graphics.
My epoxy was QCM 0032 and 0049 and I used plenty of it. Maybe this is typical to get a thinner ski it just seems like mounting the bindings may be a bit hard. Any feed back is appreciated.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Sounds like you've done just fine. Start with a core of 10mm, add 2mm for the steel edge and about 1mm each for top sheet and composites... that'll get you pretty close to 15mm. Add the graphic layer, and I think all is accounted for. My ski with a 10.5mm core turned out to be exactly 15mm after pressing (no graphic layer). Your ski sounds great. Glad that you first pressing was so successful. Do we get pictures... we just love pictures.

G-man
manmade

Post by manmade »

Im not sure if I know what im doing with the posting of picture but here goes nothing. [/img]http://community.webshots.com/album/554 ... Ny?start=0

manmade

Post by manmade »

Image[/img]
G-man

Post by G-man »

manmade,

Nice job. Very cool looking ski. Thanks for the pic.

G-man
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

manmade:

i agree with G-man, nice looking skis! boy, that shop looks familiar....
and nice enclosure for the ski press..
plywood

Post by plywood »

looks nice! what did you use for tipspacers? looks kind of weird :D some special thick fibreglass?
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
manmade

Post by manmade »

I used 22oz. glass folded over and bonded with gap filling super glue. Bonding it together made it easier to work with during the lay up especially when glueing it around the edge that met the core.