A couple of kids decks with the graphics done by the kids...

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RYM Experimentals

A couple of kids decks with the graphics done by the kids...

Post by RYM Experimentals »

We made these decks up earlier this summer for the kids at Wellington Elementary as part of an art project. The kids did the graphics and we made them into snowboards. Thought I'd share the kids artwork.

gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Sweet, I love the left one.
Ps I see you managed to log in again ;-)
RYM Experimentals

Thanks, yea they got it figured out for me. The kids thought these were super cool. The graphics are just paper that they colored on with a 4oz e-glass over them and a clear topsheet.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

So rad
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

What a great idea! Great way to get the kids involved in building too!
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

so cool! They're both so good!
Doug
RYM Experimentals

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! This is really easy to do and I encourage you, No I challenge you to reach out to your local elementary school art teacher and show them what we can do. Any good art teacher will be all over this; just give them a few full size pieces of paper and if you can, print the board shape on it ( I use a 36" wide plotter) and tell the kids to think up an idea before they start. The flowery looking one (left) was the kids idea to let colors flow from cold to hot (with help from the teacher) and the right one was a theme board for the school, If you look close it says the name of the school and all the kids signed it.

Go forth and make cool decks! My personal thought... the board on the left is one of the best graphics I've seen on a deck in along time! Much better than some of the factory graphics Ive seen come out in the last decade.

And you'll notice I didn't drill out the holes, that's on purpose to make sure that these are art objects and not boards that they can ride. This is purely for liability purposes.

I look forward seeing what we all come up with. Im planning on doing another set of these this year and Ill post what comes of it. Game on folks! let's see who can make the coolest deck.
AKtransplant

Post by AKtransplant »

Super cool. The kids at my school would love this. Did you press full boards, edges, base, etc? Would the board stay to shape with just wood and Fiberglass? Trying to think of a way to do a bunch of them for cheap.
RYM Experimentals

Sorry for the delayed response, its been a busy week. These boards were pressed with base and edges in them. I use the edges as a guide when I'm trimming them out. Guess you could get away with just wood and glass but it would be hard to cut the shape without screwing up.

Working on a new splitboard this morning. This will be the 5th splitty with fully wrapped edges. I think I'm going to send out for a sublimated topsheet on this one, just have to get a graphic together and send it over to Miller. Ill post some pics when its done.

The snow is suppose to start flying at the higher elevations here in Washington next week; fingers crossed, maybe we can get the season started soon.
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

I don't think there'd be any problem with the boards keeping their shape without bases and edges. It's really the fiberglass epoxy composite that holds the shape. The edges help only if pre-bent, but I never had any problem with the tip or tail flattening even when I didn't pre-bend the edges and they were working against the composite. If you have a template, you could use that to mostly trim out the boards with a router, though you'd still have to do the tip and tail free-hand.

We're just starting our third pair of high school senior project skis. So far, the kids have come to us on their own, but I bet if we "advertised" the idea by approaching schools with it, we'd be overwhelmed.... And for those skis we get paid! :)

Scott