Trying to show off the core this season...

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Here are my skis from last year. Clear nylon, graphics sublimated, from Miller Studios, over a blonde bamboo veneer.

RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

Those are sweet! Where are you getting structural bamboo around the Seattle area for the cores? I've been looking for a while and can't find anything but flooring or high end plywood.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Nothing wrong with vertical veneer floorboards dude.

Also got to say I like your artwork. Is that an ordered topsheet or did you do it yourself?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I just use bamboo flooring. I get it from a place called "Urbanata" in Seattle, right by the costco in sodo. They used to be "Bamboo Hardwoods", but changed companies... sell the same products. You just need unfinished VG boards, blonde or carbonized work fine, just don't get HG. The boards are something like 3.5" wide, so I rip the tongue/groove off, and then glue a few boards together for my cores. If I were making more skis each year, I would probably just get a big 4x8 of VG, but the flooring works fine for how often I build.

(gav if your question was for me - I found the graphics from a vector art website, paid like $5 for the file, and had it sublimated by a local shop)
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

For what its worth they should be able to get those same boards @ 6-3/8" x 5/8" x 6' to save a few steps. If not Cali Bamboo quoted me just over $100 a box plus $25 fedex to Blaine.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Twizz is there glass in that?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

bamboo core - 20oz triax fiberglass - strip of uni carbon - bamboo veneer - clear nylon
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Oh right venneer duh...
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

Twizz, I really like the look you put together there! Think I'm going to give your idea a try with veneer and a nylon topsheet. I've got a powder, all mountain and a new splitboard in the works right now, Ill throw some pics up as I finish them.