which thicknesser?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gav wa

which thicknesser?

Post by gav wa »

Hey folks I have a question on thicknessers. I am buying a new one as my little hardware shop one was not doing very well with the width of snowboard cores.
I have two available at good prices.
1. A 13" spiral cutter with 2.3hp motor.

2. A 15" straight cutter with 3 blades and 3hp motor.

The 15" unit is a lot more solid and has cast table sections either side and adjustable feed ratez etc.
But the 13" unit has the spiral cutter drum and is $220 cheaper. It is not as solid as the bigger unit and has the usual fold down table sections you find on smaller machines.

Anybody used similar to either of these with wide cores (330mm)
Thanks.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

gav wa

Post by gav wa »

http://www.carbatec.com.au/carba-tec-13 ... ser_c22174

The 13 inch unit.

Both of them are used machines and the 15" machine is less than half new price and looks like new. Both have good condition blades and look like they have been looked after.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Drum sander ;-)
b2therye

Post by b2therye »

do you use a thicknesser to profile your cores?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

none of the above you want an overhead belt sander like a time saver
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I dont use it for core profiling. I use a profile router set up. Its just for cleaning up planks before glueing up for core blanks and cutting them down to thickness when all glued together. A big belt or drum sander would be awesome but big sanders are real expensive around here - like about $2000 for an old one if you can find something big enough.
falls

Post by falls »

I have the carbatec 15 inch model like the one you link (except the one with the motor mounted low in the stand). It is a good machine. Solid and reliable.
I don't know if the 13 inch one will be that much better than the one you have now unless it's motor is significantly more powerful.
I had a hafco 12 inch model to start with and it battled with bamboo.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

gav wa wrote:I dont use it for core profiling. I use a profile router set up. Its just for cleaning up planks before glueing up for core blanks and cutting them down to thickness when all glued together. A big belt or drum sander would be awesome but big sanders are real expensive around here - like about $2000 for an old one if you can find something big enough.
if you don't use plainer to profile core than plainer is not necessary at all. I have 12" portable plainer not using it anymore. all you need good tablesaw and router. Just set your profiling jig to 0° ....that's how I do it
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

MadRussian wrote:
gav wa wrote:I dont use it for core profiling. I use a profile router set up. Its just for cleaning up planks before glueing up for core blanks and cutting them down to thickness when all glued together. A big belt or drum sander would be awesome but big sanders are real expensive around here - like about $2000 for an old one if you can find something big enough.
if you don't use plainer to profile core than plainer is not necessary at all. I have 12" portable plainer not using it anymore. all you need good tablesaw and router. Just set your profiling jig to 0° ....that's how I do it

Untrue...

The 3 key components of a wood shop are planer, jointer, tablesaw.

If you make your own cores with rough cut lumber, a planer is a must.
If your a bamboo plywood or rich S4S lumber buyer, "might" not need it
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

If you get your wood like this, you need tools.

[/img]Image
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Dtrain. Once again you make the rest of us envious with your incredible access to raw timber ;-)
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Now if I could turn it all into skis and boards, I might have something. It's coming though. Just trying to do all the building step once this year for the most part.

Last season almost every build was step one to finished product. This season I'm working on stocking cores, and top sheets to speed things up.

Also, with a single small shop space, it's nice to get most of the woodwork done before the pressing begins. I don't mind dust, but not when pressing sticks.

Anywho. We have a 15" industrial planer and a 13" delta 22-590. I use the delta all the time, unless I need the extra width. It had plastic casing and looks like a toy, but operates flawlessly with great accuracy.

Goz, what's with this moving to japan stuff I though I read? That's a huge move? Work or women? Haha
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Dtrain wrote:Now if I could turn it all into skis and boards, I might have something. It's coming though. Just trying to do all the building step once this year for the most part.

Last season almost every build was step one to finished product. This season I'm working on stocking cores, and top sheets to speed things up.

Also, with a single small shop space, it's nice to get most of the woodwork done before the pressing begins. I don't mind dust, but not when pressing sticks.

Anywho. We have a 15" industrial planer and a 13" delta 22-590. I use the delta all the time, unless I need the extra width. It had plastic casing and looks like a toy, but operates flawlessly with great accuracy.

Goz, what's with this moving to japan stuff I though I read? That's a huge move? Work or women? Haha
Will pm you ;-)
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Dtrain wrote:

Untrue...

The 3 key components of a wood shop are planer, jointer, tablesaw.

If you make your own cores with rough cut lumber, a planer is a must.
If your a bamboo plywood or rich S4S lumber buyer, "might" not need it
didn't want to make this discussion in pointless argument.
I make my cores from rough sawn 4/4 lumber. Not quite like you but straight from small sawmill. All work done without using planer. my process is one set of cores at the time cutting and gluing

to OP if money is no object.... well you wouldn't be asking lol.
I think there is more important equipment then planner namely belt sander, high-quality tablesaw, bandsaw
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison