Summer skibuilding 2014

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

Post by vinman »

I don't think wood sidewalls increase vibration rather they don't dampen as well as UHMWPE or abs.

My wood sidewall skis sound different on hard snow as compared to UHMWPE sidewall skis. The pitch of the snow noise is higher with the wood sidewall. I don't know if this really equates to more vibration or not. TIFWIW I guess.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
pavelbozak

Post by pavelbozak »

from characteristics above, I think, you can see that BL is harder and more elastic.... The ratio of Elastic modulus: crushing strength is in those characteristics better for BL....

twists as hell... well if you look at the BL how it grows.... the tree is not straight (like poplar, ash for example or another straight trees) and due to this, the wood has curved grains. It is almost imposible to find piece of wood in length more than 1.5 m with straight grains - so the wood twists according to its grains, especially when you cut it into thin strips, but I think it is not such a problem after you already attache it to a core...

now I ve built pair from siberian cedar with BL sidewalls and I like its flex and weight, superlight and quite hard flex :)
pavelbozak

Post by pavelbozak »

oh vinman, I also know the sound !!! :)))
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

pavelbozak wrote:from characteristics above, I think, you can see that BL is harder and more elastic.... The ratio of Elastic modulus: crushing strength is in those characteristics better for BL....

twists as hell... well if you look at the BL how it grows.... the tree is not straight (like poplar, ash for example or another straight trees) and due to this, the wood has curved grains. It is almost imposible to find piece of wood in length more than 1.5 m with straight grains - so the wood twists according to its grains, especially when you cut it into thin strips, but I think it is not such a problem after you already attache it to a core...

now I ve built pair from siberian cedar with BL sidewalls and I like its flex and weight, superlight and quite hard flex :)
okay I'm convinced ;) my next skis will be with black Locust/poplar core and BL sidewall.

About twisting. I need to check but BL boards I got grain relatively straight. btw it have very distinct smell when cut

well after checking I have to take it back. While BL boards I got drying up nice and straight grain of the wood is twisted. Don't know how this twisted of the grain will affect skis. if it impossible to find straight grain BL then it is what it is.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
pavelbozak

Post by pavelbozak »

MadRussian
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:01 pm Post subject:
pavelbozak wrote:

BTW I ve found severel exclusive pieces of black locust and decided to make one skis from those pieces...BM 195 cm long skis for my brother. Just connected with some biaxial fiber glass 0-90 and biaxial carbon fiber +- 45 and the resul is very nice stiff flex and no possible torsion twist... Little dissadvantage is weight - 2,7 kg per ski (195: 140 - 119 - 128).

The other way how to get black locust is to cut some trees Very Happy

2.7 is not bad for skis that size.
Did you get a chance to try skis build with black Locust/black Locust sidewall?
you only one recently mentioning to using black Locust. I'm trying to get some feedback. Inthe future I going to use it for sidewall maybe even in core construction mix this popular but I have no idea what to expect
Hi, weather forecast in here in Europe is not so optimistic about snowfall... No western front expected, only dded southern front :D

But I was not patient and went to the Stubaier gletcher just for 3 days. It was quite an mad event. I had to go by train to my friend and then go by car, so I couldn t take more then one pair of skis.... Of course I risked it and took my garage born skis.... After 3 days of skiing they seem to be without issues. Especially the BL sidewalls are super durable... I used quite expensive BONA oil to protect the sidewalls against moisture and it also works fine. Sidewalls are still very greasy to touch, watter repelent and without issues.

But I am not fully satisfied with PU topcoat, it is 2 component yacht lack over oak wood veneer aplied in 5 layers. Not so durable... Epoxy coat seems to work a lot better.

After more days of skiing I will share some pics or even video :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I was at Stubaier many years ago. It's quite the mountain. Epoxy as a top coat works fine. But for me it takes to long to dry. Try regular exterior PU or System 3 LPU.
pavelbozak

Post by pavelbozak »

I ve used 2 composite Pu exterior coat (for yacht) called Perfection Plus with 8 year warranty... Should be good lack. But maybe the oack veneer is not the best for varnishing. One of my pairs is epoxy coated with those lack above. Will see how it works. Another are only veneer topcoated with PU
pavelbozak

Post by pavelbozak »

Hi, last friday I skied quite a good conditions with my BM FR skis. Weather aloved me to shred the hill only during morning, later in the afternoon the snow was too affected by sun and way too heavy. But during the morning it was like my personal playground...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPVSnqb ... e=youtu.be

...slowly getting warmed up :) but need to train a lot :D