My way of gluing the edges to the base

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pmg

My way of gluing the edges to the base

Post by pmg »

Hi,

wanted to show you my way of gluing the edges to the base. For me its much easier than fiddling around with the cramps and superglue.

First, I use the ski model and a lot of small excess parts of the base and glue them around the the ski model. In here, the base + the edge fits perfectly:

Especially along the sidecut the edge gets perfectly alinged to the base. On tip and tail, the bending before needs to be done properly of course.

When gluing, I use some epoxy on some teeth, align base and edge, put the ski model on top and press it down with some bar clamps to make sure the base + edge is really flat during gluing together. I have no picture of this but I'm sure you can imagine what i mean.

As it only takes me about 20 minutes to set this little "mould" up, its definitely less stress for me to do it like this, and imo also faster. Never liked the cramps + superglue, u really need to concentrate all the time not to mess it up.

Regards
Philipp
b2therye

Post by b2therye »

So there is a little gap between the base and the extra pieces of base for the edge to sit?

then you put a board over the whole thing an clamp it down?

nice way of approaching it, I may try this next build.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

20 mins to set up?
Im finished in 10 max
pmg

Post by pmg »

b2therye wrote:So there is a little gap between the base and the extra pieces of base for the edge to sit?
Yes, I use the ski model (having the same shape as the edge+the base) to make the "glue mould". So when I set up base+edge for gluing it sits firm in there.
pmg

Post by pmg »

gozaimaas wrote:20 mins to set up?
Im finished in 10 max
Wow, then ure way better with the cramps and superglue than me. For me it always ended up having the fingers glued to the edge and the edge not being properly aligned to the base in the sidecut section ;)

Do you have full wrap edges? and 10mins per ski or for the pair?

The 20 mins are for creating this "glue mould" (what would be the correct english word for this ghetto jig?). The gluing itself is done in less then 10 mins per ski.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Haha watch out for your fingers!
Im referring to a board, full wrap. But whatever works man,
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

This seems like a lot of extra work?

I just set my template on the table. Set the cut base on that with the snow side up. This way I can see that the edge gap is good and start gluing.