quarter sawn wood poll

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Making cores out of quarter sawn lumber

leave it as is
No votes
slice it up and glue it
100%

Total votes: 3

hegan

quarter sawn wood poll

Post by hegan »

I have about 20 boards of quarter sawn ash being kiln dried right now. The gain of the lumber is straight as it gets and it got me thinking. Does this lumber need to be ripped and glued in order to make a core?
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

No, but if a crack starts it will travel all the way through. If in strips the crack stops there. Kind of like a "fire break". There will be a slight bit less toritionall stiffness also....theoretically. Nice hard wood for a one piece core though. Skidsmond did the same thing with ash I believe. He never reported any problems.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I would be concerned about the board cupping over time.
Rip it up, its not that much work really.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

stuff bonds better to the end grain as a vert lam
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

It would kill me to slice it up. I'd save it for furniture :D But for ski building it's better to do a vertical laminate. Slice it up.
hegan

Post by hegan »

skidesmond wrote:It would kill me to slice it up. I'd save it for furniture :D But for ski building it's better to do a vertical laminate. Slice it up.
Yeah it is going to be tough to slice it up but I'm going to do it.
vinman

Post by vinman »

the vert lam will be much more stable than 1 solid plank.

It is probably more cost effective to buy flat sawn lumber, rip it and then turn it 90 deg when you re-laminate.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
hegan

Post by hegan »

vinman wrote:the vert lam will be much more stable than 1 solid plank.

It is probably more cost effective to buy flat sawn lumber, rip it and then turn it 90 deg when you re-laminate.
I know a guy that does lumber as a side job so the price was better than flat sawn from a lumber yard.
MadRussian

Re: quarter sawn wood poll

Post by MadRussian »

hegan wrote:I have about 20 boards of quarter sawn ash being kiln dried right now. The gain of the lumber is straight as it gets and it got me thinking. Does this lumber need to be ripped and glued in order to make a core?
I picked up yesterday same quarter sawn ash. Now I see what you mean. It's a beautiful looking wood and grain perfectly vertical.
Sometimes ago on YouTube I saw video from one of the big manufacturers and sure looks they using solid wood not sliced up.
I'm going to use it with other wood so it gets sliced up anyway
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison