Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning: DON'T USE FEDEX WHEN SHIPPING SKIS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Delam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Warning: DON'T USE FEDEX WHEN SHIPPING SKIS Reply with quote

I recently shipped some skis to my son and made the mistake of using FedEx. I did it online as I had an account and the price seemed reasonable. I put in all the box dimensions and weighed it and the price for ground shipping was close to $40. I printed the label and dropped it off at a pickup location thinking all was fine.

A month later I see my credit card is charged for $134 and after investigating they list my package as 94 lbs. and 8 feet long when it was actually 16 lbs. and under 6 feet long.

Disputing the charge with FedEx was denied and now I am left with disputing the charge with my credit card company. Hopefully they will back me up but it is a pain in the ass that I shouldn't have to deal with.

After doing some research FedEx overcharges on a regular basis. I guess the 16.5 million lawsuit that they had to pay for a class action lawsuit for overcharging hasn't deterred them from continuing this unethical fraudulent practice.
rockaukum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad indeed! Hope it works out for you.
So what other options are there for shipping skis? I went to a ups store a while ago and took the whole package in to get a price. I was wanting to sell some skis on line and wanted to get an idea of ship price. I don't remember how expensive it was but it was enough that I did not list the skis.
skidesmond

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I shipped skis I used a place call "The Package Store". They boxed and packaged the skis for $62.23 ($5 labor, $15 ski box, $43.23 shipping insured for $500) I believe they arrive to their destination in 2 days. Not exactly cheap.
amidnightproject

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is late but ship direct from a UPS sort center is the cheapest. Skip the middle man if you can. Any of the shipping or ups ship stores charge an arm and a leg.

I can typically ship a set of skis for no more then $35 insured for $600 to the middle of the US. Up and down the east coast is typically no more then $27 also insured.

I went to ship from a package store but then they quoted me an outrageous price so I walked out.

So if you can go direct to a shipping center. Way cheaper.
skidesmond

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info! That's a great price. Did you box them yourself?
amidnightproject

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do. I just packing wrap (the syran wrap stuff but for packing) and make a triangle shaped box. Tape and boom. I'm going to start buying flats of cardboard from U-Line and cut it myself on the CNC. Cheaper then having someone else custom make boxes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Aprés Ski Building All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: