motorized glue spreader/roller

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

heuvlee

motorized glue spreader/roller

Post by heuvlee »

Ok so I always seem to see the topic of these come up but for the most part are ignored. It seems like alot of the larger factories have them they are really common in the skateboard industry. I wanted to see if there were any homemade versions i could make quickly found one and i thought you guys would like it.
seems like it would be awesome to have one and keep your glue from getting everywhere.
anyhow heres the link to the glue spreader on the forum it was posted
http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fine- ... e-spreader
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I've actually got a speed waxer that I NEVER use, looks exactly like this. This would be a much better use of it, I could just replace the bowl of wax with a bowl of glue!
heuvlee

Post by heuvlee »

twizzstyle wrote:I've actually got a speed waxer that I NEVER use, looks exactly like this. This would be a much better use of it, I could just replace the bowl of wax with a bowl of glue!
are you talking about something like the hertel waxer if so how do you "NEVER" use it i would love to have one of those.
the only question i would have about is if the hertel motorized i thought you just rolled the ski on it to make it turn? I'm not sure what kinds of problems you would run into if it wasn't motorized your end would probably just have to be rolled over it again.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Two parrallel roller, tensioned using compression springs. Apply the glue from a plastic container with a few holes to limit/control flow. Empty, clean and fill with epoxy for the core, topsheet, tipspacers through etc. Plastic (polypro) container with a lid is good, just need to be careful when drilling the holes.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

heuvlee wrote: are you talking about something like the hertel waxer if so how do you "NEVER" use it i would love to have one of those.
the only question i would have about is if the hertel motorized i thought you just rolled the ski on it to make it turn?
I don't know what the Hertel unit looks like, but that's not how mine works.

Not my picture, but mine looks more or less like that. The drum rotates in a pool of molten wax, and you run the ski along the top of the drum. Mine actually has two rollers, one that rotates in the pool of wax, and then another that rolls on top of that one.

It takes so long to heat up and melt the bowl of wax, and I have to scrape afterwards anyways, it's much faster to just use the iron. When I bought my base grinder the guy had the waxer and gave that to me too. Used it maybe twice. Making it a gluer would be a much better use of it :)
heuvlee

Post by heuvlee »

Ok cool is your roller motorized? having that second roller on top would be great especially if you could get it to spread glue.
Sounds like a new project.
I want to make one but I've got a list that just seems to grow and keep growing maybe if i can get a couple more projects checked off my list i could bump this one up a couple notches.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

yes my roller is motorized.

As a plus, if I use a glue that needs heat to set, I can turn the heater on to pre-heat the glue! :) I could do it with epoxy, but I'd have to clean everything with acetone afterwards.

I'm in the same boat, huge list of projects.
heuvlee

Post by heuvlee »

twizzstyle wrote:
I'm in the same boat
haha next project on my list happens to be a boat in a twisted sort of way! ;)

the idea about preheating the glue man that make the whole project sound even better might have to get some more heating wire when i build one to make the bath temp controlled.
right now though i am really trying to focus on a way to get a second roller on top that also spreads glue you cant really use a normal pump i think i could hook up some sort of air compressor fitting but might be a Frankenstein setup.