edge springback

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

knightsofnii

edge springback

Post by knightsofnii »

Hi. I cant recall this being talked about (much).

Anybody know, as a percent or fraction, how much the steel edges spring back when bending?

Reason being, I'd like to make bending templates for each of my tip shapes, and would love to know if I could apply math to the radii to make them a close match to what it will really do.

Probably going to use the cam-follower method for bending.
Doug
falls

Post by falls »

No idea. Is it uniform or the tighter the bend the more the spring back. I sometimes even feel that two different pieces of edge spring back different amounts. I would guess 10-20%?
Experiments are in order.
I think its a good idea.
I have started using the same radius in tips for my 3/4 wraps so it's as uniform as I can make it.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

my tips now have a combo of 4 radii, and straight spots. This should be fun:)
Just hoping I can do something that can be scaled down and turned into a cam.
Doug
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

This is something that would need to be figured out for a CNC bender as well. It probably just needs a few sections of edge sacrificed to collect some empirical data.

The results will depend on the cross section of the edges you have, and the temper of the edges, but I bet you can come up with something close enough that it will work as a 90% solution. Presumably you are only doing cold-bending, throwing heat into it would cause too much variability.