YKNOT Reporting

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

loganimlach

YKNOT Reporting

Post by loganimlach »

MAN! After obsessing over this forum all summer and fall I feel like I haven't been back in ages. But now that I'm up at work with some time to waste I figured it's time to go ahead and throw out some shameless self promotion.

I AM SO STOKED ON ALL OF MY SKIS!!!!!

Seriously, there's nothing more gratifying than riding on them and partially expecting them to spontaneously combust then having them actually perform.

First shot of the first 3 mounted pairs (L to R, Torcs 190 @ 148-118-140, Culo Flat 180 @ 118-91-118, Culo Reg 180 @ 118-91-118):

First trip out on the Torcs was a short skin mission, so there wasn't really a ton I could tell about the performance, but I did get some airtime on some alaskan gold powder.

My first resort day on the Culo Flats - bamboo flat camber park skis (center on the mounting shot above) was very interesting. They are a completely symmetrical ski, giving the illusion of short noses, but given the tight turning radius I put on them (≈14m) they perform like a slalom ski, which was especially weird with the flat camber. BUT the turn is strange because there's so much tail. I think that if I make the sidecut centered at -2 to -3cm with a 16-17m turning radius they will be the ski I have been looking for. PLUS, ripping groomers with my old man is funner than hell:

Enter another touring day with the dogs on the Torcs (yes, this is how I ski with my Corgi on a regular basis, and yes we drop small cliffs like this):

After that I had to go back to work for 3 weeks, but upon return I moved from the armpit that is Hillsboro, OR up to the Seattle area. First time at Steven's pass and first time on the Culo Regs:

And we also filmed an edit which can be seen here: http://vimeo.com/83720421

I am in LOVE with the Culo Regs for shredding park. Nice tight turning radius gives a skate feel to the experience and I had an absolutely awesome time on them.

With the storm that came in, it was time to really text pow shredding on the Torcs, and lets just say I was effing stoked. The early rise tip and tail in conjunction with the tight turning radius gives a surf feel to the ski in deep snow, but the massive surface area brings a level of stability when dropping cliffs and skiing fast. The only change I might make is bring the tail dimension in on this particular ski, to maybe 138 or so, to extend the turning radius a touch and make them not quite as symmetrical.

And some video shots:

http://diyskis.tumblr.com/post/74494170 ... ks-a-bunch
http://diyskis.tumblr.com/post/74494154 ... ple-off-on
http://diyskis.tumblr.com/post/74494131 ... kis-level1

Now I'm back up at work for the next few weeks, but the next time I'll be on my skis hopefully it'll be filming with Level 1 in Europe, beating to shit and breaking my skis on the streets of Oslo!

Thank you so much to everyone in this community for the information and help along the way, so many of you have been so influential and don't even know it. This community is fcuking amazing.
loganimlach

Post by loganimlach »

Also, if you're interested I generally post up my antics on Instagram under the name @loganimlach

I always get so amped seeing Whiteroom's instagram posts, it's just so fcuking fun seeing home brew skis making people happy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Congrats dude! Looks like you've had quite a few good days on your stuff. There really is no feeling quite like skiing on your own boards. The feeling will only get better as your skis get better and you really dial in your designs.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Great job and a super sweet video edit!
falls

Post by falls »

Great edit!
It's 40 degrees C here right now. That edit helped me through the heat. Thanks.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Great pics, great skis !

Is there any info around here about how you did your graphics ?
I'm looking into alternatives to sublimated graphics... I've been dealing with Miller Studio and their service is great however the prices increased a lot for single topsheets (especially on Nylon)... I can't keep spending $68+$15 / topsheet (not even considering that the CAN$ is getting lower and lower VS the US$ so even without price change it would cost me 10% more than a year ago).. the topsheet price right now is almost the same as the price of all the other materials together..
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
loganimlach

Post by loganimlach »

No graphics at all my friend, those are clear topsheets with stickers plastered all over the top. I figured I'd much rather plaster reminders of all the people that have helped me out in my so called "skiing career" than look at some wood. And hey, I still get to check out the cores when I do tail grabs, right?
loganimlach

Post by loganimlach »

After the end of a long journey, I finally got my first urban shots with Level 1 Productions on my YKNOT Culo Regs. Words cannot describe the stoke level.

Also, during our tenure in Minneapolis, some gents from BBC followed us around and made a little edit, check it out here for some shots of me falling

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26297175

The skis held up well, the only real damage to them (aside from normal wear and tear of hitting rails and skiing on lots of concrete) was when I skied straight into an icy snowbank, coming to a dead stop. I ended up with a longitudinal crack in the core and sidewall at the nose, about 5-6" long. Upon inspection, it will be just fine, I'll fill it with epoxy and clamp it.
falls

Post by falls »

Nice work. For a 26 year old "veteran"! :)
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Danielbroski

Post by Danielbroski »

Its so cool to see one of my favorite skiers make is own skis!