canadian redneck

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

heuvlee

Post by heuvlee »

hey guys I know my posts are kind of sparatic I am working on that but i really need some guidance here I might have the chance to purchase a allstone belt grinder should I buy it? What is the machine worth?
rightsideways

Post by rightsideways »

I don't know anything about base grinders but I found a discussion about allstone on epicski:

http://www.epicski.com/t/70339/allstone ... se-grinder

posts 7 and 8 would lead me to believe it's maybe not worth it...
Dimitar

Post by Dimitar »

Nice press and nice price as well :D

Our advice - make your blankets 1700-1800 Watts at least. Install suitable power controller in order to adjust this value by yourself.
Our blankets are ~2000 Watts and they seem to heat not so fast (30 minutes for temp up to 90 celcius degrees), taking into account our shop is a bit cold.

Good luck!
Dimitar

Post by Dimitar »

Regarding the base grinder.

Don`t be in a hurry. Visit some tuning shops in order to become more familiar with these mashines.

Discuss with the guys there, tell them what do you do and what do you expect from the grinder. They will give you some good advices.

We found really good tuning shop nearby. They grind our bases for 4 euro only. We are so glad, because we did not spend those 2k euro for an old base grinder.... :D
heuvlee

Post by heuvlee »

Ok well after some correspondence with the seller I found out it is a friend of mine who tried to start a sport store which sadly did not work out. he is selling the belt grinder and a stone grinder for $1500 so i'm gonna try to talk the price down and just go for the belt.
heuvlee

Post by heuvlee »

So guys because I feel like I may have offended some people on the site I would like to apologize. Even though many of you may not believe me I have read the entire site it took 1.5 years I was taking my time between may other jobs and projects. And I ask questions usually to clarify because so many contradictions seem to occur throughout discussion. I don't want to forget things I have read on here that I think are important my teachers tell me its a learning disability but I will admit I haven't been tested. So from now on I will try to sift through the 41380 articles before I ask a question that I'm asking to try and save some time and money.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. Writing a journal means you are giving to the forum and inspiring others.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Just use google to site search, I know the search function here sucks.
I copied this from chrismp's post as it was the clearest.
Just type in your keywords and add "site:skibuilders.com" (e.g. "camber lose site:skibuilders.com")
these are the results when I did it.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=%22cambe ... oATJpIGABA

While your at it google cncmogul as well.
I did it for you, only takes a second.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=cnc+mogu ... oATe-oGoDA

I know I came across as harsh, but most of the questions posed on this site these days have been answered over and over, and it's not just you.
Most of this stuff is trial and error and everybody has a different way of doing things so results vary.
Things like camber loss, no one can give you a definite answer. That's why your finding differing results. You will get some loss is the only true answer.

No hard feelings I hope, it's just been building and I snapped.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

sammer wrote:.
Most of this stuff is trial and error and everybody has a different way of doing things so results vary.
Things like camber loss, no one can give you a definite answer. That's why your finding differing results. You will get some loss is the only true answer.

No hard feelings I hope, it's just been building and I snapped.

sam
very true.

Don't worry about little things. For the first few pairs camber is going to be least of your problems so don't worry about it. If you want save money build adjustable camber mold (numerous discussions about the subject to).
Same story goes for your question about blankets. they ranges from 1500W to 3000w. You have one suggestion about 2000w where he can barely heat up to the temperature in 30 min. I have blankets with1600W 7.5A at 240v and can get to the temperature of 180° F in 10 min. even if it's 25° in the shop...... here you have it.
I know it's very frustrating and nerve racking sometimes.

Concentrate on big picture and keep moving forward.

btw read my signature :D why do you think it their ;) ;)
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
bhenry

Post by bhenry »

I can relate to the read a lot, but...if not for the generosity of the veterans here
I'd still be building my sail boat instead of being, possibly, a couple weeks away from a first pressing.
Try posing questions in a way that describes what you already know from research here, but need clarified?
us noobs have it sooo easy, but we can't change history.

One thing I can change is my lack of sharing. Rich made the comment about giving back with a journal. Never thought of it that way.

sent from the hot tub, or one of the many weird places I read SB
thanks,
Bill
heuvlee

Post by heuvlee »

Ok so I could go pickup my silicone materials from the state's tonight or go skiing I picked skiing my dads gunna pick up my packages though so I might be building my mat on sat or Sun hopefully and the molds are being made on Sat.
heuvlee

Post by heuvlee »

Quick equipment update. On the weekend I will be getting my base grinder.

with a little work I think it will be a great machine.
heuvlee

Post by heuvlee »

Just ordered the 4x8 Cnc mogul too.
So if anyone near Brockville Ontario wants to come by and try to figure the Cnc out with me once it's up and running. I'm cool with it but I am probably the farthest thing from an expert.
Or if you guys want to check the machine out before you buy one.
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

Let us know how the mogul performs!
heuvlee

Post by heuvlee »

Today I popped over to the states for a couple of hours to pick up some packages.

my resistance wire hopefully it will work but i only spent $11 on 200'

Also picked up some wood cut and planed to size just need to glue and cut poplar and some maple $100 looks like i should be able to get 3 sets of skis out of this.