Thermocouple positioning

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Post by falls »

Some other things (sorry if preaching to the choir as you are pretty onto stuff usually).
1. You haven't accidentally reversed the wiring somewhere?
2. If using connector systems (plugs) they recommend running TC extension wire from the connector to the PID and this has to have correct polarity.
3. Did yours come with the wires at the end twisted around each other? The ones I have have 2 separate wires that are individually insulated until right at the end where they join. With yours being twisted at the end it puts the wires in contact at several points and is this messing with the voltage? Prob not but just a thought.

I got mine from
http://www.tcdirect.net.au/deptprod.asp?deptid=180/21

Also maybe one is just a dud? But it seems it works sometimes.

I think Rich was saying that you are doing your tests with the thermocouples under pressure (as you would when pressing). Whether the pressure is somehow affecting your results. I don't know about how pressure would affect it electrically, but it could affect it mechanically ( eg pinching wires or creating a short circuit). Is that right rich?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

When configuring the sestos pid you just have to tell it you are using a k type tc. There is nothing about grounded or non grounded.
Something tells me when i use the different thermocouples tonight everything will be fixed, fingers crossed hehe.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

falls wrote:Some other things (sorry if preaching to the choir as you are pretty onto stuff usually).
1. You haven't accidentally reversed the wiring somewhere?
2. If using connector systems (plugs) they recommend running TC extension wire from the connector to the PID and this has to have correct polarity.
3. Did yours come with the wires at the end twisted around each other? The ones I have have 2 separate wires that are individually insulated until right at the end where they join. With yours being twisted at the end it puts the wires in contact at several points and is this messing with the voltage? Prob not but just a thought.

I got mine from
http://www.tcdirect.net.au/deptprod.asp?deptid=180/21

Also maybe one is just a dud? But it seems it works sometimes.

I think Rich was saying that you are doing your tests with the thermocouples under pressure (as you would when pressing). Whether the pressure is somehow affecting your results. I don't know about how pressure would affect it electrically, but it could affect it mechanically ( eg pinching wires or creating a short circuit). Is that right rich?
When I got the thermocouples the had a threaded fitting on the end. I cut it off and welded the wire ends together. I have been thinking about the twists all day and I think that might be my issue.
It's still strange that I got pretty accurate results when I butted the wire ends to the cassette rather than laying them flat.

Btw I appreciate any help. Never to proud to admit when I am wrong and I clearly did something wrong here. ;-)
Last edited by gozaimaas on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Electrics aren't my thing, but what falls is saying is sensible, it ties in with the outline described per the second document:

http://www.beesindustrial.com/docs/Grou ... ouples.pdf

http://labjack.com/support/app-notes/thermocouples

Per the photo above, the way the thermocouples are inserted will have sparks flying if you press like that. Earthing the press is a good idea (essential).

Cheers falls, the slight buzzing my press has is called a ground loop ... who knew )
falls

Post by falls »

gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Great links. Thanks guys
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I untwisted the ends of the thermocouples and rewelded them. The result is this

Wooo partay!
Thanks to everyone for helping!
falls

Post by falls »

:D
climberman

Post by climberman »

Shweeeeet!
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

:D

Falls, sorry man. Yep, I was a bit concerned the test setup might become the norm and delay the whole process.