Weird Room '2013/14

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

So I taped up the whole perimeter of the box last night, and cemented all the pipe connections, and it seems to be working ok. The main problem seems to be that the seal tape is a little too close to the edge of the core and air is leaking in there. I ran a strip of packing tape along the edges of the bottom of the core to overlap the weatherstrip and it sucks down hard now. At some point I'll re-cut that slot for some wider weatherstrip, but it got me by for now.

Managed to get two cores cut down to size last night. I read on here the other day about someone else (forget who) having trouble cutting douglas fir. I was committed at that point, but never again. The stuff is brutal, just comes off in big chunks. One tip may need a little patch, but otherwise all the messed up edges will be getting cut off at the end. It cuts fine when its supported on both sides, so next time I'll make sure its not the outer strips.

And the aftermath after a quick pass with the shop vac. Left the dust collector off cause I wanted to watch this whole program closely to try to avoid a disaster. Went pretty smoothly really, aside from a few tearouts on the outer strips.

Pretty stoked about the whole operation so far.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

climb cutting is the best way to avoid teh tear out.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
sammer

Post by sammer »

MontuckyMadman wrote:climb cutting is the best way to avoid teh tear out.
Yuuuup!
Despite his poor grammar, (perhaps spell check wouldn't hurt) montucky does sometimes deserve a medal.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Its for the canucks teh teh eh?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

Climb cutting was definitely better, but it would still grab chunks and tear them off. 5/8 straight carbide cutter, .2 depth per pass roughing, about 30% stepover. Won't be a big deal on this pair, they'll clean up ok, but next time I'll glue some strips of something else outside teh fir to support it a bit. Eh.
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

Pressed the first pair yesterday, dded stoked!

Lots of room for improvement, but for the first pair I think they'll be usable. One of the bases shifted a bit it looks like, will see how bad when I trim them out tonight. Garage was cold and the epoxy wasn't completely set, but I had to take them out for a peek before bed otherwise I wouldn't have slept.

Bases cut

Bases glued down to casette

Tabs to keep it all in line. This worked well, but I left more room than I needed for the bottom glass layer and there was a bit of slop.

Graphics trimmed

All the bits cut. Epoxy measured. "I think everything is ready to go". Stress start here.

Gooped up and ready to get squished.

Squished. What I thought was a tiny air leak turned out to be a giant air leak that caused the compressor to kick on about once every half hour. For 8 hours. I live it a duplex with what might as well be paper walls. I'm sure my neighbors love me.

Fresh out of the press

Tips

Tails

Bases. Lots of cleanup to do.

I stuck them back in the press after this to cure overnight in the mold. Gonna trim the flash tonight for a full inspection.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

very nice first pair! I like the idea of a clear top sheet, gives you an idea of what is going on in there.

how did you get the alignment blocks to stick to the aluminum?
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

Just used hot glue to hold the tabs to the cassette. They were still stuck where I put them when I pulled it out so that part seems to have worked.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

IslandRider wrote:Just used hot glue to hold the tabs to the cassette. They were still stuck where I put them when I pulled it out so that part seems to have worked.
do you wax your cassette?
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

SWEET!!! Congrats. Dont get too eager and flash them too early. Give that stuff a chance to cure.

What were your graphics printed on and what with? They look great!

It also looks like you used tape on your bases?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

That's your first layup? That's something to be proud of, those look really nice! I bet they'll trim up great. Nice work!
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

Thanks for the good words guys, I'm super stoked with how they came out. Was prepared for a total failure the on the first go. Cut them apart last night and it looks like the edges held pretty well, and the bases are as flat as I can measure which is sweet. One of the cores did shift about 5mm at the tip, but won't be enough to cause a problem. Right ski will be slightly duck foot, at least it didn't go the other way. Cured exactly to the shape of the mold, no weird camber issues, or loss of tip/tail height so far.
skimann20 wrote:do you wax your cassette?
Ya, but just one coat of mold release wax. Tabs stuck pretty well, I wasn't expecting them to but I thought I'd give it a try. Spray glue held the bases down and skis popped right out with no issue too.
Cornice wrote: Dont get too eager and flash them too early. Give that stuff a chance to cure.
What were your graphics printed on and what with? They look great!
It also looks like you used tape on your bases?
Good advice. I started trimming them last night and decided pretty quickly to hold off for a few more days. Partly because I need to get a better tool to do the job properly, and partly because they weren't completely set yet. Started tearing fibers near the cut line, but nothing close to the ski. They're now sitting in my living room....because its warm....or at least that's what I told my GF when she gave me the what the dded do you think you're doing with those things look.

Graphics are printed on tissue paper on my shitty old printer. Lots of cursing and arts and crafts time with a glue stick, but wasn't too bad once I figured out what worked. I went out looking for rice paper but couldn't find any. The edge of the tissue paper is very faintly visible but I spent about 10 seconds trimming the graphics out, so I could make that disappear for the next pair. At the last minute I decided to mark the midline of the running length right on the core with a sharpie. Didn't really let it dry and it bled a bit and doesn't look so great, but whatever.

And ya, put a layer of packing tape on the bases. I use it for everything I want to keep epoxy off. Works really well to line simple tooling to make cheap reusable molds for other stuff too, but that's getting off topic.
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

Nice one! I hope they sky as well as they look!
IslandRider wrote:At the last minute I decided to mark the midline of the running length right on the core with a sharpie. Didn't really let it dry and it bled a bit and doesn't look so great, but whatever.
Use a NON permanent pencil next time and you wont have any trouble!
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

SleepingAwake wrote:Use a NON permanent pencil next time and you wont have any trouble!
Ya, good call.

Couple more pics just roughly cut out with a jig saw. Will post some more once they're all cleaned up. Going to check out a used belt sander this eve. Excuse the mess, its been a hectic couple days.

Modeled the shape after an old pair of K2 Seths I have. I really like the way they ski, I just wanted a smaller version for non-pow days.

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

There's no feeling like skiing on your first pair of skis! Nice work!