Weird Room '2013/14

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

IslandRider

Weird Room '2013/14

Post by IslandRider »

So after a year or two lurking around here and soaking up as much info as I can, I've finally started doing something. Figured it was time to post, maybe it will even be useful to someone else. Couldn't have done any of this without this great site. I have quite a bit of experience with composites for the boat world, but skis are all new to me.
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

Post #2
Last edited by IslandRider on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

No real order here, just a bunch of random projects I've got on the go at the same time.

Gluing up core stack. Red cedar and Douglas fir. Will be using inserts so not too concerned about binding retention, just trying to make them light. The 2x6s there will become a top mold when I get around to it.

Thought the whole resawing on a table saw was going to be a lot sketchier than it actually was. Got a friend over to help with first cut that we chipped away at in 1/2" passes. He had to split, but second through last cuts were done in one pass full depth each side by myself with no incidents.

Started working on a vacuum hold down table for the CNC. Has been on the to-do list for a while, but wanting to profile some cores soon has finally pushed it to the top of the list.

I think most people use shop vacs or some other high flow vacuum source for this kinda thing. Anyone ever tried with a lower flow high vacuum pump like used for bagging? I've got a 3cfm pump that runs silent that I'm going to try first. Really would prefer to not have to listen to a shop vac running the whole time. Since this pic I've routed out a bunch of channels for closed cell weatherstrip that I'm hoping will seal well enough to a core to hold it down without losing all kinds of flow. We'll see I guess.

Press is starting to come together. Still need to make the links that will connect the top and bottom in the middle. Don't really think I need them, but it will make me feel a lot better about the whole situation.

Put some blanks in there partly because I was excited and partly because I've run out of horizontal surfaces to store things on.

Molds up next.

It even fits under the bench like its supposed to, which was a nice touch. The green gets a lot less abrasive once it gets coated with the same layer of dust as everything else in the shop.

More to come as it happens.
Last edited by IslandRider on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
falls

Post by falls »

Looking good.
I think that style press with only one support in the middle will bend (deflect) a lot under pressure. My press is similar and has 4 vertical supports plus the 2 at the ends.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

Hey falls, I watched your build thread pretty closely before starting this press. You may notice some similarities in the whole layout....

What's the wall thickness on the tubing you used? Mine is ~6mm wall and ~51mm x 76mm structural HSS. Ran a quick FEA study on it that says it should be more than strong enough, but there were definitely some assumptions involved. Don't remember the exact #s, but I think it was 1 or 2 mm deflection @ 100psi without the middle link, and less than 1 with it, and that's with a pressure distributed over the entire opening area which is more than what it will really see. It feels pretty beefy, but I guess I'll find out for sure soon enough.
falls

Post by falls »

Mine is 4 inch by 2 inch RHS with the longer side vertically to create more resistance to bending. I think wall thickness was only 3mm though so yours is much thicker.
I didn't do any FEA and probably overbuilt it.
See how yours goes and you can always add more vertical supports later if need be.
It sounds like should be ok though.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

Got a bit of work done over the weekend. Adjustable top mold pretty much done.

Got a little lazy with the rads at the end. Didn't want to crash the spindle, or bother to figure out how deep I could take them without crashing so I left it conservative. I'll make two more fill blocks to finish the ends up a bit nicer eventually.

Full length
Short skis/boards
Kid sized. Could take the two spacers out and go smaller still if I needed to.
Image.

Filled up three of these in about 45 minutes of cutting.
Last edited by IslandRider on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

Top half is done for now. Bottom mold up next. Waiting for some fittings to start putting the fire hoses in. Lots to do, and there's snow in the mountains already.

IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

Bit more work done on the press. Getting there.

Priced out aluminum, decided oak strips will have to be just fine...

Hose is ~9.25 flat, press cavity is 14" wide. Going to have to get creative with the ends to get them both to fit.

Plan to profile the cores this weekend. Still waiting on triax, then I should be good to go.

Cornice

Post by Cornice »

Sweet press! How in the world did you bend those sweet square straps for the end?
Looks like you had a CNC before the ski project... seems most start ski building then get one after. It never occurred to me that i could even use a wireless keyboard with my CNC. Thats going to solve lots of problems for me. :oops:
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

One of the few perks of my day job is access to some heavy steel fab equipment. One of the fabricators burned those for me out of 1/2 plate and formed them on the big press brake. They're 2 pieces each with a seam top and bottom.

And ya, the wireless keyboard is nice to have for sure. One day I'll get around to putting one of those $100 USB MDI pulse wheels on there, but for now this is doing alright. Biggest thing is finding one with a trackpad built in. We'll see how long it survives living in MDF dust. 6 months so far and no issues. Can't complain for $50. I built the router last winter with plans of ski building in mind. I do a lot of other composite work, and having the router to make tooling saves a ton of time, plus lets me make things that would be a royal pain in the ass to do by hand.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

To control the CNC from around the machine I have a cheap USB gamepad + "KeyGrabber" (comes with Mach3 I believe) to assign actions to the different buttons / sticks in Mach3... works great !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

To control the CNC from around the machine I have a cheap USB gamepad + "KeyGrabber" (comes with Mach3 I believe) to assign actions to the different buttons / sticks in Mach3... works great !
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

I like that idea, would definitely make setting up and running go faster. Plus would be really cool when random people drop by to make it look like its just a big video game. I really want a pulse wheel for single step when zero-ing z since a touch off plate is a ways down on the to do list still. Can't find the link, but I've seen ones like this for under $100.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/new_produ ... mach3.html

I do a lot of hand bombed MDI code too so never going to get away from a keyboard entirely.