Weird Room '2013/14

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

Post by vinman »

I guess I got pretty lucky. My shop is stoked to see my skis come in and their ski tech does a kickass job flattening skis. It sometimes takes them a week to do 1 pair but I don't complain, I'm just happy to have a place that will do such a pro level job on them.

The tech gives me great feedback on flatness helping me to improve my process.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I started putting floor wax on the base and the epoxy will flake
off for the most part and I try to scrape the rest off asuch as
possible before bringing them to the ski shop. They said they'll
only run them 2 or 3 times at most over the grinder.

I don't think they mind doing them, no problem so far. But
it's time for me to get my own grinder.
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree getting the epoxy off, or keeping it off in the first place would definitely improve the likelihood of getting places like that to work on them. Any tips on how to get it off without a big belt? Bases on all 3 I've made so far have been pretty much dead flat, so sanding just the epoxy seems like it would make a decent situation worse. Grinder is one the wish list, but I'm 100% out of space at the moment.

skidesmond - how do you hold the bases to the cassette with wax on them? I think the spray glue I'm using now would probably still work for what I need it for, but input is always nice.

Kindredsnow, PM sent.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

IslandRider wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree getting the epoxy off, or keeping it off in the first place would definitely improve the likelihood of getting places like that to work on them. Any tips on how to get it off without a big belt? Bases on all 3 I've made so far have been pretty much dead flat, so sanding just the epoxy seems like it would make a decent situation worse. Grinder is one the wish list, but I'm 100% out of space at the moment.

skidesmond - how do you hold the bases to the cassette with wax on them? I think the spray glue I'm using now would probably still work for what I need it for, but input is always nice.

Kindredsnow, PM sent.
I leave a spot at the ski mid-point un-waxed. Same for the cassette. I use spray adhesive to fasten the the base to the cassette. I started using left over metal edges (about 2 inches long) as guides along the base to keep the base from moving. I use double stick tape to fasten the leftover edge to cassette. I use the edges at 4 points on each base. I've done it a couple times so far with good success.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

are you welding the edge pieces facing the opposite way, onto your cassette sheet?
that was an idea I had a long while back but havent implemented it yet due to low volume per shape.
Doug
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

If you are having thought like that nii, you might want to consider creating a defined boarder and add inserts to define the snowboard shape you want. Kinda like how you start a jigsaw puzzle. This will ensure the cassette remains re-useable for various shapes in the future.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

skidesmond wrote:I use double stick tape to fasten the leftover edge to cassette. I use the edges at 4 points on each base. I've done it a couple times so far with good success.
oops, didn't see that part. Going to try this for sure. :).
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Richuk wrote:If you are having thought like that nii, you might want to consider creating a defined boarder and add inserts to define the snowboard shape you want. Kinda like how you start a jigsaw puzzle. This will ensure the cassette remains re-useable for various shapes in the future.
Actually, between the edges and your insert suggestion, I've got an idea. Thanks :).
Doug
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

knightsofnii wrote:
oops, didn't see that part. Going to try this for sure. :).
SD do not using heat iirc.
Be careful with heat. I suggest to try first because double-faced tape can get cooked to cassette so well you will have hard time to remove it. That's what's happened with me no amount of acetone or paint remover worked. Had to use sender to take it off
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I don't use heat at this time. That's good to know about double stick tape and heat. Thanks.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

heat makes all tape stick seventeen times harder.
Key is to try to remove the tape immediately while your sheets and board are still hot.
Doug
cainguy

Post by cainguy »

Do any of you guys have trouble getting shops to work on your stuff?
Hey there,
There happens to be a tuner at Sports Traders in Vic that has been a tuner for race teams in Atlantic Canada. Mark only works Saturdays and Sundays as he is an apprentice where I work during the week. He has knowledge of home built skis and said there is no reason for refusing the work. He said he would be happy to do any skis for you. He's not there this weekend, he's putting on a tuning course for skicross in Van.

Good work on the boards.
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

Right on man, good to know. I'll take my next pair over there for sure.