Descent Snowboards '14

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Nice work! But man, you should get some new boots and bindings! The newer stuff is so much better than those relicts from the 90s ;) i'd suggest Union or Ride bindings and Thirty Two boots.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

best way to get yourself all the new gear... which, by the time you accomplish it you'll probably have all new gear, start a brand, get your boards dialed and befriend some local reps who rep all the other companies. Then again, If I really do the math, i'm sure I paid 3-7x more to end up with discounted stuff, haha.

All the gear is so expensive, and having hookups and getting stuff at proform pricing really goes a long way. Especially because when i'm trying to convince people that my boards are badass, though they speak for themselves, when people see me on current top notch stuff, they take me a little more seriously. Not that that matters to folks making their own stuff occasionally.
Doug
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Deals on equipment? Become a ski patrol/instructor, it will get you proform pricing too. Got $725 ski boot for $400, still alot but now I had $$ for ski materials :D
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Richuk wrote:Following on from Twizz ...

Can you find these in the US: http://www.cosyfloor.com/Products/ECOMA ... ments.aspx, 20 GBP for a 6ft length. They will heat up to around 20- 30oC, just plug them into 240v. Per: @ 2.58, create a layup space and put the heater under the fibre, then use them in the press.
I been thinking to start a thread about heated layup table.

My wife got me on sale in Walgreens several of those in 12x24 size. they are can bring surface temperature up to about 100° F. I would guess tabletop need to be metal for best heat transfer

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Have a heated layup table its malamin transfers heat fine. 80f for 15 min helps the glass soak up better.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
EricW

Post by EricW »

Ha, yeah my gear is pretty old. I got that stuff back in '99 when I took a year off school to be a bum in Aspen. Good times. I haven't decided on boots yet but I'm waiting for Catek to get another shipment of Brotherhoods in. Also contemplating a pair of Union Contact Pros. As I get my building dialed in it'll be more of a priority.

I probably just don't know what I'm missing.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Boots should be your first priority when upgrading your gear. I love Thirty Two because they all have thermoformable liners which really helps to eliminate pressure points. But you need to try them on to see if the boots of a certain manufacturer fit your feet well. Try to write down the sizes that fit you best for each manufacturer you try on in a local store in case you want to grab a deal online.

As for bindings, just get something that fits the boot of your choice.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

I have 32 JP Walkers from 2012?
I never thermoformed them. I just wore them. Surprisingly break in was simply one day of thrashing about at Killington :). Pressure points faded away. They feel like slippers now.

I had Ride bindings with the toe thong, cant say the toe thong is that rad but when it WAS adjusted right it was awesome. The best feature of rides is the foot-pads, perfectly contoured to your feet, I wanted to clone them and put them on other bindings.

Instead I got K2 Hurrithanes, they are just as comfy as the rides, but everything is tool-less :). with 3deg cant.
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

all our team riders ride for Vans, and they like the boots they got too, I was the only one that didn't get a pair so I was glad that I had already bought the 32's.
Doug
EricW

Post by EricW »

relicts from the 90s
Happy now?

More importantly I took the board out for some real action today. It rode awesome. It's designed as a directional free ride board. Held an edge perfectly no matter how fast I was moving. No chop no getting squirrely. Just pure carving awesomeness. Was even able to lean hard enough to run my hand over the hard pack. What a blast. Definitely a design I'd be comfortable selling once I get the manufacture bugs worked out.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

good choice, Cartels? nice squishy ankle straps :)
Doug
EricW

Post by EricW »

Yup, Cartels. Guy at the shop had them in the basement for a couple years so I got a great deal.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Nice, I rode Cartels once and they were super comfortable! Did you get a deal on new boots as well? IMO boots are the most important factor in a set up (unless the board is not suited for your riding at all).
EricW

Post by EricW »

Keeping my eye out for a pair of Burton Imperials at the end of year sales.