Leaky pneumatic bladder

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

b4.mountain

Leaky pneumatic bladder

Post by b4.mountain »

I'm having problems making the pneumatic bladder air tight. To start it is not the connections from the compressor to the bladder that are leaky, or the seals at each end, but the actual fire hose tube. This is an ex UK fire hose, and is apparently water tight but not air tight. Originally when discovering that it wasn't holding pressure, I lined the hose with a PU tube acting like an inner tube on a bike, and it was just about holding pressure ~ 60psi. Over multiple presses, and the inclusion of a heat mat running up to 100oC I think the PU lining has degraded and so now I can't even reach 60psi with the compressor running full whack. Before I rip the whole thing open and replace the PU lining, has anyone had this problem before?? I was thinking of using something like this (polymarineshop) sealflex-500ml an acrylic adhesive, but not sure how it will react as the pneumatics get warm when pressing, less so now due to an upgraded cat track than before (when I fear the damage was done). With this i can just inject it through my pneumatics and it should seal.

Thanks for any advice
Go BIG or Go HOME
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Sounds like you just need a new hose.

I've had my hose over 100psi with no leaks (but that was just a test, I press my skis in the 40-60psi range)
b4.mountain

Post by b4.mountain »

Anyone in the UK got any recommendations for hoses? Bearing in mind my original one which leaks is an old fire hose, 70mm diameter, search (Ex fire brigade 70mm fire hose firefighting duraline viking flood pumping) in ebay for a similar model.
Go BIG or Go HOME
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I'm using three lenghts of this: http://www.ebay.at/itm/Bauschlauch-Stor ... 1e77581c25

At the options next to the picture you need to choose "Bauschlauch", "A" and then the desired lenght. The letter stands for the diameter of the hose, which is 110mm for a size A hose (approx. 175mm flat).