Why Knot?

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I strongly suggest attaching both edges on at the same time. Any tension in the edges is likely to skew your bases. Plus, I find it faster this way.
vinman

Post by vinman »

^^what he said.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
loganimlach

Post by loganimlach »

Dr. Delam wrote:I strongly suggest attaching both edges on at the same time. Any tension in the edges is likely to skew your bases. Plus, I find it faster this way.
sweet, thanks for the tip. my cheap ass was just trying to avoid buying more clamps, but when i start adding up all of this shit i suppose what's $30?
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

I also use 19 oz triax and no carbon but my cores are somewhere inbetween 13 and 12 mm at the bindings. The stiffest I have ever made where 13,5 and the softest I haver ever made (a touring ski for a friend) where 11,0. The 13,5 are really stiff. 12.4 mm is what we make most skis. Good grip on ice but still soft enough for me to ski on for a full day.
loganimlach

Post by loganimlach »

PTTR wrote:I also use 19 oz triax and no carbon but my cores are somewhere inbetween 13 and 12 mm at the bindings. The stiffest I have ever made where 13,5 and the softest I haver ever made (a touring ski for a friend) where 11,0. The 13,5 are really stiff. 12.4 mm is what we make most skis. Good grip on ice but still soft enough for me to ski on for a full day.
i'm so confused, mine are at 11.3 and literally feel too soft to ski on. softer than hellbents. i mean i know no two cores are going to perform exactly the same, but if yours were even skiable at 11 with 19oz triax and no carbon then i must have something else going on.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Make sure you place the longitudinal glass fibers facing the base on the bottom layer and facing the top sheet in the top layer.

The further away your longitudinal fibers are from the core, you'll add to the overall stiffness of the ski. The long fibers are referred to as the warp in a triax glass fabric. Think "warp out"

I agree 11mm with only 19 oz glass would be a noodle for normal sized people. I'd make a light youth of light weight adult ski with 10.5-11 mm underfoot maybe.

For normal people i don't go less than 11.5-11.6 if the want a soft ski.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

The ones I built with 11 mm cores where touring skis for a light friend. A couple of 10th of a millimiter makes a huge difference. As I said above, normal skis for me would be around 12,4 mm at the thickest point, but I have also made stiffer and softer for different purposes. In my setup the range inbetween soft and stiff goes from ca 13mm to 12mm. Anything thicker og thinner is very soft or very stiff. I don't use extra fibers to tweak the flex but have a precis and easily changeble router crib for my profiling. it sounds nerdy but I measure everything in 10th of milimiters when profiling cores.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Not nerdy at all, you have to measure in 10ths of millimeters in order to achieve consistent results.
loganimlach

Post by loganimlach »

back at it, aiming for 8 pairs in 10 days.

paulownia with ash stringers.

loganimlach

Post by loganimlach »

so happy i'm done with the MDF cutting portion, the cleanup is always a bitch afterwards.

the pow skis will be paulownia w/ ash stringers and bamboo sidewalls, i'm making flat camber urban skis that are bamboo, and some cambered park skis that are alder w/ ash stringers.
loganimlach

Post by loganimlach »

well 8 pairs in 10 days was a bit ambitious. now, however, i'm on schedule for 6 pairs in 13 days. i'll start pressing the first pair tomorrow.

some process shots:

bummed i'm gonna have to cover these with carbon but they profiled just a little too thin :( they would have been great to throw a clear topsheet over.

my 3 core types all prepped:
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Very ambitious indeed! but looks like you're kicking butt! Keep it up, but don't get complacent... some kind of disaster is bound to happen if you let your guard down! The simple mistakes are the worst.
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

loganimlach wrote:well 8 pairs in 10 days was a bit ambitious. now, however, i'm on schedule for 6 pairs in 13 days.
Go big or go home with ski making. Impressive
loganimlach

Post by loganimlach »

twizzstyle wrote:Very ambitious indeed! but looks like you're kicking butt! Keep it up, but don't get complacent... some kind of disaster is bound to happen if you let your guard down! The simple mistakes are the worst.
damnit i wish i would have read those words earlier!

first pair is out of the bag and wouldn't you know it, despite 40 min layup and almost 700g of epoxy i managed to not fully wet out the top glass on one ski's tail.

son of a bitch. i forsee epoxy and clamps in that skis future. this has to have happened to someone else. recommended before or after cutting off the flash? i'm thinking i'll split the pair and do it then.

other than that they look good, flat bases, the carbon tape swam a little and i avoided any top sheet bubbles or wrinkles. on to the next pair.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Don't sweat it, this won't be your last problem :)

If it were me, I'd split the skis apart, but not cut off all the flashing yet. Get epoxy in there as best you can, and get it nice and hot so it gets really thin, it'll soak up easier that way and hopefully bond with the existing epoxy. If you can get it wetted enough, you might be able to hide it completely. I wouldn't bother pressing it, it's got the shape at this point you just want to saturate the glass with epoxy.