My edge bender

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gozaimaas

My edge bender

Post by gozaimaas »

After trying the tube bender method and finding it very awkward to use I decided to buy a bar bender and modify it to suit my needs. At first I thought it would require custom dies to make it work but I was surprised how easily I could produce the shapes I needed.
The only modification I did was cut a slot in the die to accept the tangs which both locates and keeps the edge square during bending.

The other thing that is working really well for me is taping 2 edges together and bending them at the same time, when you have fit one side simply cut the tape and your other edge is done and perfectly symmetrical. A better job in half the time.

Some pics
sammer

Re: My edge bender

Post by sammer »

gozaimaas wrote: The other thing that is working really well for me is taping 2 edges together and bending them at the same time, when you have fit one side simply cut the tape and your other edge is done and perfectly symmetrical. A better job in half the time.
Thanks for this!!!!
Not sure why nobody thought of this earlier.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Nice method!

@sammer: i can tell you why nobody has thought of this earlier ;) i assume only very few people on this forum have acces to this piece of equipment and buying one sets you back at least 300 bucks. a pair of tile nippers or some washers and a vise are much cheaper.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

It cost me about AU$220 but it is so easy to use.
I just did the edges for 5 boards in an hour and I have some irregular shapes too. I think the first edge I ever did took me all day with the hand held tube bender lmao
Toddh77

Post by Toddh77 »

love it, gotta get one. I was searching online, and there seem to lots of different styles. What brand/model is yours?
Thanks for the great idea
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Mine is a hafco brand but I have seen them on the web in other countries with different brand names and colours

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/B043
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

any way to pop up a video of how this thing works?
Doug
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I will try and take a vid next time I do some edges, Ive got 5 boards to build first though ;)

Basically you put the edge in the groove, tighten up the vice and put a small bend in the edge, release the vice and move the edge along one tine and repeat.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I just did a bit of scrap. See if this vid works for you

Last edited by gozaimaas on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.