CNC Profiling

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sammer

Post by sammer »

Probably find them cheaper somewhere else...
http://www.woodworkersworld.net/roughin ... bits.shtml

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

twizzstyle wrote:For cutting out shapes I use a 1/4" down-cut two-flute. The down-cut keeps the work pieces from lifting, that's the main reason I use it. Has worked great for me! For profiling I use a big 1.5" straight flute router bit.
I have the same. 1.5050" straight flute that works great at 80ips. Roughing pass in the x axis and finish pass in the Y (tried it after reading this thread and it works like a charm! thanks twizz and M.M.). I also have a .25" down, perhaps I'll try that for this next core to be cut out tomorrow night.

One thing that I'd like to figure out is how to not have the "roughing pass" go all the way down to the depth of the finish pass on bobCAD. I'm sure its simple just have to do some digging.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Same setup as Twizz for me, except I use an upcut 1/4 bit to cut out shapes (better chip clearance)

It looks to me that the cnc J-Skis uses is an "homemade" one (so his max feedrate might be limited) -» maybe this kind of bit reduces the heat at lower feedrates, it looks like the feedrate is pretty low but he cuts the ski shape in one pass... (1/2" bit ?)
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

skimann20 wrote:80ips
I'm sure that's supposed to be ipm, not ips right? :)

The CAM software I use allows me to put in a surface offset for roughing passes. I usually do something small like .02"
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

twizzstyle wrote:
I'm sure that's supposed to be ipm, not ips right? :)
o no thats per second... nice catch there! ;-)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Dang... guess my CNC is a little inadequate - I run everything at 75 inches per MINUTE and it feels fast. 80 ips must be nuts.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Must profile a core in 5 min?
Im at 5600 mmpm so whatever that is in your stupid imperial world. I have it down to 22min per core for big and long.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

That can't be right. I have a huge industrial woodworking CNC and it maxes out at about 12m/m (about 470 ipm). 80ips would be 120m/m, so about ten times the max speed of my machine.

MM your value sounds about right. I usually do core profiles at 6m/m with a 20mm router bit.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

lol sorry guys I guess my humor didn't come across. Twizz was correct, its IMP. I could only imagine what IMS would look like. ;-) cheers all
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Ha... sarcasm doesn't come across to well on teh internets. That and I'm gullible, apparently. Now I don't feel so bad about my machine :)