Let the 2013/14 building begin!

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RYM Experimentals

Let the 2013/14 building begin!

Post by RYM Experimentals »

We're off and rolling this year, prepping cores, bases and designing some new graphics. Just ordered up some of the new Duravision topsheet from Crown Plastics to give it a try and ready to go to the next level.

After 4 years of solid building, 27 boards done, and 3 years of product testing, we're ready to start getting them and ready to market to friends and friends of friends.

Here's the question... we have a solid hold harmless agreement that we are planning on using for anyone that buys the decks with lots of disclaimers in it about it being an experimental board and at your own risk and you may die and stuff like that but has anyone actually used one of these? The lawyers say it should be solid but Im still a bit nervous about it.

Second question... and probably the more important question...Do you think we're ready? Go check out the decks from last year at www.chair2snowboards.com and let us know what you think. Would you rock one of those? I personally have been riding for 27 years and in in my opinion, they are the best boards I've ever rode but I'm a bit biased because they are built for our riding style.

Build on folks, the basement builders are the future of the sport!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Someone actually doing this for business would have to give you a real answer - but when you buy a lift ticket you are signing away the mountain's liability for injury/death, yet there are still people that sue the pants off of resorts and win (it happened to snoqualmie just a few years ago, $14 million paid). I think hold harmless agreement or not, if you're really getting serious, you need insurance and maybe an LLC.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

twizzstyle wrote:Someone actually doing this for business would have to give you a real answer - but when you buy a lift ticket you are signing away the mountain's liability for injury/death, yet there are still people that sue the pants off of resorts and win (it happened to snoqualmie just a few years ago, $14 million paid). I think hold harmless agreement or not, if you're really getting serious, you need insurance and maybe an LLC.
not ski business specific.
Average business liability insurance usually 1/2 million to 1 million. Sometimes 2 millions. umbrella coverage separately up to 5 millions. So total liability payout can be up to 7 millions. Prices are reasonable if business in category of low risk. If high risk sky is not limit on prices. I would guess ski building is high-risk

twizz in your example 14 millions no normal/average insurance will cover it
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

MadRussian wrote: twizz in your example 14 millions no normal/average insurance will cover it
Yep. Shortly after the lawsuit a much larger company ended up buying my mountain.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

FYI its min $3500 for insurance for building what we build per year.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

here is my thought.

what is your "company" actually worth? 5-10K? lets say i bang up my back on your board. do you think i'm going to sue you for your entire company??? no not really, its not worth my time.

now lets say you have a 1M policy. You're damn right i'm going after you! And my lawyer is going to call you and ask for your legal council and you're going to start studering on the phone and he is going to own you, your policy, and your dog. if you are going legit you better call a lawyer and not get legal advice from this forum. time to start playing with the big boys.

at the very minimum LLC or INC, depending on if you are going to have employees, so I don't take your dog. ;-)

(this is not meant to come across as harsh, I'm just trying to push the severity of going legit)
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

even with an LLC you can still be held accountable financially.

Not sure where to steer you. Every policy is different and there is nothing specific to snowboard companies.

I've been told by various sources it can be done from anywhere between 1000-15k / yr but have yet to find someone that will actually quote and provide me anything.
Doug
RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

I've been doing a little insurance shopping and we can get a General Liability policy for $750 to start and $125/ month after that. I told the agent that we plan to sell upwards of $15,000/year of product (Gross price). Coverage is up to 1 million dollars for product insurance.

Thoughts?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Chair2 Snowboards wrote:I've been doing a little insurance shopping and we can get a General Liability policy for $750 to start and $125/ month after that. I told the agent that we plan to sell upwards of $15,000/year of product (Gross price). Coverage is up to 1 million dollars for product insurance.

Thoughts?
2250 is a great deal. as low as I found was 3500.
who you goin through?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
tufty

Post by tufty »

Chair2 Snowboards wrote:I've been doing a little insurance shopping and we can get a General Liability policy for $750 to start and $125/ month after that. I told the agent that we plan to sell upwards of $15,000/year of product (Gross price). Coverage is up to 1 million dollars for product insurance.

Thoughts?
Not a lawyer, and not involved in ski selling, but...

I'd start asking questions about what /exactly/ is covered. Are your legal costs covered? What about non-product liability (should one of your clients end up wheelchair-bound for the rest of their life, for example)?

As an idea, when I was working as a freelance IT consultant, my liability insurance covered 15M GBP (20M USD +), and I wasn't developing stuff that could realistically put anyone's life at risk. I would start feeling very exposed if I was selling skis and only had a million behind me.