MDF and heat

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

MDF and heat

Post by MadRussian »

yesterday heat up my blanket first time. One cycle only for 10 min. total brought it up to 180°F no pressure . When this morning went to move the blanket over and what I discovered MDF tabletop practically melted under the blanket not a lot maybe quarter of millimeter or less, little deeper on the outside edge and under wires. Right below resistance wire MDF went dark gray. It was like imprint of resistance wires. I read people have problems with MDF under heat but didn't expect this much damage in 10 min. I had to use sender to smooth out MDF because I could feel the wave

you can see on the picture shadow/pencil like lines and outside outlining of the blanket

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

you must be in a very humid climate i would assume.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

MontuckyMadman wrote:you must be in a very humid climate i would assume.
yes humidity high past couple days. In the summer we get 80 to 90% humidity all the time here in New England.
what to do now? why humidity affecting MDF that much?
Thomas A. Edison
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

because mdf is pretty much a wood pulp sponge.
Dehumidifier?
Or move west.
I wouldn't worry about it under pressure.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

MontuckyMadman wrote:because mdf is pretty much a wood pulp sponge.
Dehumidifier?
Or move west.
I wouldn't worry about it under pressure.
the humidifier is good idea but not practical for now in my shop.

would be nice. Unfortunately not happening.

I'm not worried because minimal amount of MDF in my press.

To me damage looks like adhesive, MDF made with, got soften up.

Why not to worry about under pressure? To my understanding with heat under pressure MDF might deformed even more maybe evenly or unpredictable but more.
Thomas A. Edison
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

MDF is most tolerant of heat and pressure when it is cut into strips and vertically laminated. This approach minimises the amount of direct contact between the adhesive and the heat blanket. I'm guessing the inner sections of the boards must act like a heat sink ... to a certain degree. This method appears stable upto 80oC ... here in the UK, where humity is not such a factor. Obviously not all MDF is made to the same quality ... so local conditions rule.

If you want to push past that temp ... face laminated MDF with a thin piece of plywood - 3mm or if you are feeling brave, hardboard. I believe hardboard is subject to a great deal of pressure during manufacture. I use hardboard within my press, I've seen no issues and it has outlasted the original MDF mold.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Richuk wrote:MDF is most tolerant of heat and pressure when it is cut into strips and vertically laminated. This approach minimises the amount of direct contact between the adhesive and the heat blanket. I'm guessing the inner sections of the boards must act like a heat sink ... to a certain degree. This method appears stable upto 80oC ... here in the UK, where humity is not such a factor. Obviously not all MDF is made to the same quality ... so local conditions rule.

If you want to push past that temp ... face laminated MDF with a thin piece of plywood - 3mm or if you are feeling brave, hardboard. I believe hardboard is subject to a great deal of pressure during manufacture. I use hardboard within my press, I've seen no issues and it has outlasted the original MDF mold.
whatever local Home Depot have that's what I got for MDF. I'm sure MDF in Home Depot is low quality.

In my mold, only tips and tales part made of MDF rest metal. Plus I going to use some insulation to minimize heat loss and heat effect to MDF.
In the future I'm planning not to use MDF at all to make mold or any wood products for that matter for exactly the reasons discussed here
Thomas A. Edison
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

The body of the ski heats up more quickly than the tips, so you may find that the different materials provide you with a even temperature range/accurate cure.
Last edited by Richuk on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

If you look at a cross section of an MDF board, the outer "skins" look much denser than the core. By having a bunch of vertically oriented boards laminated together, you get the benefit of the denser outer bits acting as ribs. I've never had any deformation with molds like that, however when I've had a center camber section that was a single board of MDF laying flat that I had machined the camber into (thus exposing the less dense core) it deformed like crazy.
More

Post by More »

Painting or varnishing MDF will make a big difference in how much moisture it soaks up.