Need some help with cores!

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sammer

Post by sammer »

MontuckyMadman wrote:U just keep planing till the machine bottoms out. Its a hand plane so the harder you push the more material it removes with each pass.
Duh...
You do deserve a medal. :D

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

Looks like they made a home made rod holder, been searching and can not find anything like that. Also power hand planers you can adjust the height of the blade.
tufty

Post by tufty »

backyardskier wrote:Looks like they made a home made rod holder, been searching and can not find anything like that.
Shouldn't be hard to do. Most planers have a pair of threaded holes for attachments (depth guides, etc) so it's really only a case of attaching the correct size bolt to the end of your guide rod.

That said, they seem to have removed the top front of their planer (the white bit sticking up is the depth adjuster, less knob) so maybe they've gone for the brutal approach and simply drilled through. What worries me more is that their rod doesn't seem to be above the blade, so getting a consistent cut seems to me to be almost totally dependent on the operator applying a consistent amount of pressure.
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

Well today I found this 1/2" bit router for a good price.
Best part variable speed :D
After getting home I found the need to make my profiler super stable.
Also made a new tray for the new router.

Tomorrow is going to be the testing day hope all goes well.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

You might want to consider use p-tex on the slider of the bridge
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

Mad I used some wax and it worked out really well.

I want to thank all of you for helping me out with all the information and methods.

Did my test run today and came out great. The dimensions for tip/mid foot/tail all came out spot on 2/10/2. The new router helped out so much it was a night a day difference between the new one and the old one.

Still on the table, had to photoshop it thats why the photo looks funky.

And the profile.

Now I just need to go get some good wood for the cores.

Again thanks for the help.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Those rails look familiar.
Glad to see you got it working.
As Mad said put a bit of plastic (eg base material) where the sled contacts the rails. It makes a huge difference in how the sled moves.
I used hdpe on mine, used contact cement to glue it on.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

sammer wrote:Those rails look familiar.
Glad to see you got it working.
Yeah I figured I will copy someone that have a proven system, rather than set up my table saw plan. Which I did do but in a smaller scale. I made a 13mm cut on the table saw to save a lot of time on the router table. It worked out really well, I will be using that more often for a rough cut.