David's yet to be named thread

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

the.quass wrote:Domo Arigato Gozaimaaaaass. I used the entropy that doesn't need heat so I thought it would be ok. I had another look today and it looks like it's slowly hardening. I have used a scraper to see if I can scrape some of the tacky stuff off in one patch and have scuffed it up on another. I am going to sand it anyways so it's not a big deal as long as I am not stupid.
Wil keep you updated. Hopefully I will have some sweet pics of my Jarrah veneer board in a week or two.
Its not the exoxy on the outside thats the problem, its the stuff holding your laminates together 8) The uncured stuff on the top is a good indication of whats going on inside your board. I would try and get some heat into it somehow.

I cant wait to see pics, but dont rush it or you could wreck the board
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

the skim coat was a batch all on it's own. The others seem to have hardened nicely.
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

hey guys
So my skim coat didn't really become drier after a week. Today I went to bunnings and got myself a heat gun and some other goodies and have taken to the board. I have gotten 99 percent of the goop off and feel better now. I have also trimmed and routed the sidewalls after giving them a belt with the belt sander. She aint pretty but I am still going to ride her when I get the chance. So... my next issue. I started drilling out my binding t nut holes as well. So it seems that snowboard binding screws are m6. When I ordered mine got them from the ski lab and assumed that they would fit. Seems theirs are M5. I am a bit pissed at myself that I didn't test this out before I put them in my board. Not suprised as that really seems like something I would do.
I will buy some m5 screws and be done with it I guess.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

That sounds a lot like you got the mix ratio wrong or any other sort of contamination of the mix. Glad she's still rideable! :)
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

We will see chrismp, we will see :)
I think I may have spoiled my epoxy by putting the hardener lid on the epoxy and the other way round when I seated in the t nuts. The epoxy was lumpier than I remembered it. It seems crazy that such a little amount of hardener that could have sat on the lid could stuff a whole bottle of epoxy but, who knows. MAybe.
For the time being I am going to give this one more sand. Varnish it up and then take it to the mountains in a few weeks and shred it up. If it breaks of delams I will ride my other boards (ones I didn't make). The thing is stiff. I was worried it would be a noodle but it's FIRM. HAs some nice pop to it. Doesn't have much cambe though. Maybe 1 cm. My next one will be better.
Cheers for the interest
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

pics!
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Yeah man. Sorry about the distinct lack of visual aids. I will pop some up tonight.
I have varnished it last night using an exterior matte varnish. Matte anything is OK in my books. Looks nice. Flawed but nice.
Looks like we might get some turns in later in the month. Woo.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

green scotch brite will make it look a million bucks
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

the.quass

Post by the.quass »

gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

well done!
Dont hang your towel on the heater lol.
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hey Goz,
Thanks for the concern. It's been unplugged for at least 2 years so no worries :)
Some more pics. You can see some dry spells in the middle strip of the base and some bubbles in the top sheet along with a couple of spots where I sanded through. I don't care. I put bindings on and gave it the lounge room flex test. It's very scientific... Felt good. It's a real stiffy! Nothing wrong with that!

gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I sanded through my first one too :oops:
Get yourself a proper countersink drill for the insert holes, they do a really neat job especially with a veneer top sheet, you dont want to splinter it.
Stiff is goooood
falls

Post by falls »

Looks awesome!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice! Ride the hell out of it.